News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So close, yet so far away...

Started by myk, May 29, 2012, 03:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

model maker

Having a Charger is nice, & losing a Charger is not so nice :'(, if you leave a car like that outside & unattended the chances of someone damaging it or even STEALING IT increases a LOT ! believe it or not, there ARE scumbags out there, EVERYWHERE, cruising around & paying lowlifes to look for exactly what we are all talking about here just looking to make YOUR car THEIRS anyway, anytime THEY choose, and leaving your charger out in the open like that is just asking for trouble. I bet a lot of guys on here won't even drive their chargers to the supermarket and leave it in the parking lot in the middle of the day without having someone keep an eye on the car the entire time ! Your Charger can be GONE that fast. If you want to keep your car YOURS and damage free, put it behind secure, locked doors.
Bert
MODEL MAKER

stripedelete

Quote from: myk on June 01, 2012, 04:50:58 AM
Quote from: Plum Crazy 68 on May 30, 2012, 10:58:49 AM
Leave SD and move to the next County to the North.  Buy a daily driver, commute (Car Pool), and know that your Charger is safe in a nice garage.  I speak from experience.

You mean Temecula, Murrieta, places like that?  I'd rather not.  Call me a Road-wimp but the idea of having to commute more than I really have to isn't acceptable.

Quote from: HeavyFuel on May 30, 2012, 02:13:54 PM

Why are you against owning?

It's just not right for "ME."  For everyone else it's the smartest thing to do with their money.  The idea of being tethered to a contract that spans 15 years or more is out of the question.  Hell I'm so against financial contracts and obligations that I won't even go for a car loan, finance a t.v. at Best Buy or even get locked into a cell phone plan.  Besides, I might want to just pick up and move whenever I feel like, and that would be difficult to do if I had to get out of a mortgage, especially if there wasn't any equity yet.  Most importantly, on my salary I absolutely CANNOT afford a house and unlike a lot of people, some of which are my closest friends, I won't buy into something that I genuinely can't afford.  For example I have a friend who lives on Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches and water just about every day, because he's so strapped by his mortgage; to me that's not living, and with my salary that's what I'd be doing.

Quote from: Fred on May 31, 2012, 12:18:46 AM
To be honest, I couldn't sleep at night if the car wasn't in my own back yard.  :rotz:

I absolutely agree, which is why the idea of renting out a garage that isn't immediately accessible pains me but...I want to win the war on rust and quite frankly I don't trust people anymore...

I read an article in the WSJ a couple of weeks ago that says you "are" the next decade or so.  Renting is the next trend at all income levels.  I also caught some talking heads on TV discussing the job market.   They said the inability to sell their home is many people from moving to where the jobs are.  So if you don't have deep roots you may be playing it just right.   :shruggy:

...now back to the storage thread.....

myk

Good Lord y'all are 100% right.  I can't believe I've kept my Charger outdoors for almost 10 years now.  You know what?  Even if I don't get a storage unit I don't even have a decent car cover to shield it from the elements; I've kept a tarp over it but it didn't matter because the paint was shot.  I've got to find a storage unit, even if it breaks my heart to know it's not sleeping beside me...

myk

Ok, one thing I didn't take into consideration is just how BIG this car is, at least by today's garage standards.  I've checked out some of the local spaces for rent and they're way too small-a Mini Cooper would have trouble squeezing into these "garages."  What do you guys think about gated, underground parking? 

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE