News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

742 case suregrip thrust block

Started by NZ68RT, May 09, 2006, 04:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NZ68RT

I'm fitting green bearings to my 8 3/4 and have read the threads about removing the thrust block to make sure there is no excess side loading, how do you remove it ?. I can move it maybe 1/4 inch side to side but it seems to be captive.

Thanks

Steve
- 1968 Dodge Charger 440 R/T
- 1972 VH Valiant Charger ( Australian ) 360 4 speed
- 1967 Plymouth Barracuda Hardtop 273 auto

firefighter3931

Steve, there is a pin that holds the thrust block in place....most of the time it is broken and the block is just floating in there. You will probably have to pull the centersection to remove the pin and thrust block.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

NZ68RT

Thanks Ron,  I have the center out and it looks to me like there are two pieces with a pin through the centre of them, is that correct ?. Can I simply drive the pin out with a punch ? I guess if the pin was broken you would have two round button shaped pieces with a "T" shape if looked at side on, one either side.
- 1968 Dodge Charger 440 R/T
- 1972 VH Valiant Charger ( Australian ) 360 4 speed
- 1967 Plymouth Barracuda Hardtop 273 auto

firefighter3931

Yep, just pop the pin out with a punch.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

is the sure grip a 2 spider gear / cone type or the 4 spider clutch type /
if has the cone type you need to slit the sure grip in two to get the block out

rcannon440

Steve
I'm removing the green bearings from my axle and going back to the original except I need the thrust block and the adjuster for the axles. Did you get rid of these pieces and if not would you be willing to sell them?
Rob