News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

-68 R/T 440 stampings

Started by Voss, October 08, 2011, 03:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voss

Hi,

I have a couple of questions about the engine stampings for a -68 R/T Charger. It does not have the VIN stampings on the block/trans so I'm digging into the date codes to understand if the engine is original to the car (or as original as it can be...).

The fender tag states a scheduled production date of 528.
The machined pad in front of the intake says D 440 5 14.

I guess it's reasonable with the engine build date of May 14 and the car produced May 28? Right?

Next step is to find the block casting number and date. It's located somewhere around the starter, right? If that date is earlier than the engine build date I would say it is as close as matching numbers as it can get? Right?

Thanks!

Chryco Psycho

blocks were usually cast 3 months ahead of production but the stamped date is not the date it was cast , you need the casting number near the starter . If you look at the back where the trans & block are bolted together they were often stamped with the serial # there & yours is late enough it should have it .

Troy

Yes, it's possible. It doesn't say "HP" after the "440" on that stamped pad? If not, then you're probably not looking at the original motor from an R/T. That late in the year would have a stamping I believe. It will be on the back of the motor just under the oil sending unit on the flange where the transmission meets the block (facing up). Get all the cast numbers on both sides of the block to see what you have.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Voss

Chryco Psycho, Troy: Thanks for the input. I will talk to the owner later today and see if it's possible to figure out if the block/trans have the partial VIN stampings. I might be interested in buying the car, it's on eBay right now. The sunfire yellow one... Located in Redding. Perhaps you recognize the car?

The owner stated it did have AP2 stamped next to D440. I think he misread and that it's in fact HP2 which would be correct.

But still the VIN stampings is the biq question. Will be interesting to see what he says...

I'll keep you informed...

BTW. The VIN is XS29L8G... The G tells it's from the St Louis factory, is there any differences in stampings if the car was built in Hamtramck?