News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone from Kentucky? Title question...

Started by Tilar, June 05, 2013, 05:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tilar

I just bought a 73 Duster from Kentucky. The notary didn't use any "seal" or stamp. Ohio and Texas both use either a stamp or one of those embossed stamps but this guy didn't use anything. Is that right?
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

ws23rt

Quote from: Tilar on June 05, 2013, 05:31:26 PM
I just bought a 73 Duster from Kentucky. The notary didn't use any "seal" or stamp. Ohio and Texas both use either a stamp or one of those embossed stamps but this guy didn't use anything. Is that right?

If the notary did not use a seal or stamp than it could have been your brother or you that did it. Without the notary Id what is the point of notary?
In all the times I have used a notary they have only one interest that I know of and that is that they saw you sign something.
This is my  :Twocents: and I am not a lawyer. My gut tells me if an issue comes up about the sale the notary will be low on the list of items that will cause it to fall through.

Tilar

Quote from: ws23rt on June 05, 2013, 05:45:29 PM

If the notary did not use a seal or stamp than it could have been your brother or you that did it. Without the notary Id what is the point of notary?

Texas titles do not need to have anything but a signature from the seller for anything older than 7 years old, which is why I asked for someone from Kentucky to answer this question because I sure don't know. From your answer I'm assuming that you are 100% sure they need a notary seal?
Dave  

ws23rt

Quote from: Tilar on June 05, 2013, 06:21:08 PM
Quote from: ws23rt on June 05, 2013, 05:45:29 PM

Texas titles do not need to have anything but a signature from the seller for anything older than 7 years old, which is why I asked for someone from Kentucky to answer this question because I sure don't know. From your answer I'm assuming that you are 100% sure they need a notary seal?

OOps I am by no means sure about anything. My point questions the value of a notary if there is no way to verify that notary. I suspect that if you require one than you don't yet have it.

Tilar

I understand that one which is why I questioned it. But on the same hand on like Ohio titles, there is a specific spot that says "Notary seal here" and there is none on this Kentucky title. I have to go back either Friday or Saturday and pick the car up and I'd like to know for sure so I don't go back in to this guy and make a fool out of myself... if you know what I mean.  :P
Dave  

grizzlygiff1

Tilar, I have lived in Kentucky all my life and have never had to notarize a title transfer, usually both parties go to the county courthouse and transfer title and that has always been how I have done it with signature only. Oh, just remembered that I sold a truck to a friend and just signed the title over to him without going to courthouse and no problems. Just make sure to have him sign in the correct spot on title, I have heard of problems with signing in incorrect spot. I would just go to courthouse with the seller in case there are any back taxes on the vehicle. You dont want any surprises I'm sure. Hope this helps.

ws23rt

Quote from: Tilar on June 05, 2013, 07:57:57 PM
I understand that one which is why I questioned it. But on the same hand on like Ohio titles, there is a specific spot that says "Notary seal here" and there is none on this Kentucky title. I have to go back either Friday or Saturday and pick the car up and I'd like to know for sure so I don't go back in to this guy and make a fool out of myself... if you know what I mean.  :P

I know what you mean. I do it a lot. Best to make a call to your dmv and ask the question. I know this sucks but if you ask clearly your question and they are not about to go on break maybe you will get to the bottom line.
I apologise for not having a bottom line answer for you. I sometimes use logic and rational thinking to puzzle things out but with government agency's involved that doesn't work so well.

stripedelete

Google Kentucky Notory.   There is a stamp/seal.   Unless you transfer the title into your name in Kentucky, Ohio is going to want that seal or stamp on the title or bill-of sale and or one of your kidneys.