News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

VIN tag restoration, or duplication?

Started by madmike, November 21, 2011, 05:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmike

'68 Charger, purchased as a rolling shell.  I bought the car in Arizona, and my title matches the VIN tag number riveted to the dash board.  Only trouble is, someone ran a sander across the embossed numbers a little bit.  They are still readable, and reflect the title numbers.  Also, the VIN tag itself has been painted black.  I don't know who does this crap...  I understand that some 1968 Chargers with body numbers stamped in the radiator core support and trunk lid, don't always match the VIN tag.  My body stamping numbers match each other, but not the VIN tag, so all I really have is the botched VIN tag riveted to the dash board.  I think this changed in 1969, when numbers stamped in the body, did match the VIN tag.

Anyway, I live in Ohio, and I'm concerned that the DMV might think that my VIN tag was 'tampered with' (because it looks rough), and they might not let me transfer the Arizona title (already in my name) to an Ohio title.  In Ohio, they do an 'out of state inspection', where they compare the title to the actual VIN tag on the car.  Although the VIN tag looks rough, the embossed numbers are still readable, and match my title.

Does anyone know of a source where the original VIN tag can be restored or duplicated?  I don't think I would want to send my only original VIN tag somewhere, so I think duplication might be better...

Thanks, Mike

Ghoste

Because the numbers that are stamped in the rad support and trunk are not your VIN, they are SO numbers.  But to answer the other part of the question there are places that can malke a repro tag for you.  Tags Back East is one.

maxwellwedge

I know ECS makes new "masks" for them but I don't think anyone can make a legal VIN tag.

Ghoste

Are we talking vin tag or fender tag?  I'm reading it wrong arent I.

maxwellwedge

Ghoste

Note to self-read more slowly.  It's right there in the first sentence. lol
madmike, disregard what I said about Tags Back East.  You might be screwed on a dash one unless you find someone with the right skills.

moparstuart

at least its there and readable  , some are completely missing
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Benji

I have heard that AG Backeast will dupllicate a VIN tag if you can prove beyond any doubt that you own the car in question and you are not attempting to pull a fast one on them.  I suggest contacting than at http://www.datatags.com/ and find out then let us know.

Benji

I know someone is doing them as I have seen quite a few absolutely perfect VIN tags on Mopars at car shows and at the Auburn auction and a 40+ year old car should have some damage to it I would think.

Troy

The Ohio state inspection is relatively painless. They have passed every one of mine and some were pretty bad. You will be paying a pile of money if you can find someone to make you an original.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

moparstuart

Quote from: Benji on November 22, 2011, 02:47:19 PM
I have heard that AG Backeast will dupllicate a VIN tag if you can prove beyond any doubt that you own the car in question and you are not attempting to pull a fast one on them.  I suggest contacting than at http://www.datatags.com/ and find out then let us know.

Benji

I know someone is doing them as I have seen quite a few absolutely perfect VIN tags on Mopars at car shows and at the Auburn auction and a 40+ year old car should have some damage to it I would think.
you can restore a vin tag , the rosette rivets and the decal for the pentastar are avalible .

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Tilar

Like Troy says, the Ohio inspection is relatively painless. Even with a rolling chassis you can still load it up and take it to them, Or you can maybe talk them into coming to your place to do the inspection. All that has to be is a title for the car which you apparently have, and a speedometer that they can read.

You might offer to take them to the car and bring them back.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

charger01

I towed my car from Jersey back to Ohio.  Went to get the title transferred and they told me they had to inspect the car to make sure it was legit. I towed it down there the next day in the pouring down rain.  They went out and looked through the windshield really quickly and that was it.  In a hurry to get back inside. :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

So the moral of the story is to always get a car inspected in crappy weather? :lol:

Benji

Quote from: Ghoste on November 23, 2011, 06:58:37 AM
So the moral of the story is to always get a car inspected in crappy weather? :lol:

Yes, especially if you don't want them to look at real closely!!!

Benji

Aero426

If the dash VIN is present and legible, but damaged by grinding marks, I would hesitate to mess with it.     As long as you have it, you are in fine shape.   I would leave it alone as it has the original fasteners.   You can tell it's old.   

Old Moparz

Quote from: Aero426 on November 23, 2011, 10:56:07 AM

If the dash VIN is present and legible, but damaged by grinding marks, I would hesitate to mess with it.     As long as you have it, you are in fine shape.   I would leave it alone as it has the original fasteners.   You can tell it's old.   

I agree, don't open a can of worms for yourself with DMV, just leave what you have alone. Even if you don't have any trouble transferring it now, if you ever need to sell or transfer it later it might be a huge problem with another party involved.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

bull

Quote from: madmike on November 21, 2011, 05:06:33 PM
Also, the VIN tag itself has been painted black.

Thanks, Mike

They're supposed to be black. It and the rest of the dash frame are semi gloss black, aren't they? :shruggy:

gtx6970

Quote from: bull on November 23, 2011, 12:24:09 PM
Quote from: madmike on November 21, 2011, 05:06:33 PM
Also, the VIN tag itself has been painted black.

Thanks, Mike

They're supposed to be black. It and the rest of the dash frame are semi gloss black, aren't they? :shruggy:

vin tag is a smooth low gloss black, dash frame itself is suede finish