News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Red Line Firestone tires squealing

Started by 66FBCharger, September 20, 2011, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

I got my Charger R/T last Weds. I registered and insured it and started cruising around town. I noticed that driving into a gentle curve at about 30 mph and the tires squeal like a bad 1960s chase scene. The tires are Firestone wide oval redline tires. they are G70-14 size and I have the tire pressure set at 28 psi. I don't know if they are old tires or old used repro tires. I am not sure how to tell the difference.
I talked to my buddy who has a 68 Dart GTS that he has put new Repro Firestone Wide Oval ride line tires on and he says his car does the same thing. My wife's 73 'Cuda 340 has repro Goodyear Polyglas F70x14. Her car does not squeal at all. Her car seems more stable on the Goodyears.
Has anyone else had this problem? I am not sure if it is the Firestone tires are junky design/materials or something with the front end. I will probably replace the tires in the spring but don't want to buy new ones and have them squealing. I might get redline radials or get the Goodyear red lines.
Any input is appreciated.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Ghoste

Wasnt the Polyglas a superior tire back then?  I dont know for sure but I think it was supposed to be a better one.  Tire technology has improved a lot and so have traction compounds in the rubber, repro tire should probably give repro performance.

68RRFlyer

You need an alignment. :yesnod:  I had F70-14s, G70-14s, F-70-15s, and G70-15s on various cars over the years and none made that noise.  It's not the tires.  Only one that made the noise you are refering to was a 68 Charger with radials that I redid and was sending off to the alignment shop when I noticed the squeel.  After the alignment, no squeel.  Usually, too much positive camber will make that sound.  Better to get it done and save the tires from excessive wear and prevent any safety issues from arising too.  Happy cruising! :2thumbs:

Cheers :cheers: 
Dave
1969-1/2 A12 Super Bee
1970 Challenger T/A
1964 Corvette Convertible
1949 Chevy 3100

HPP

Its a bias ply tire. They make more noise more easily than radials.

But, like 68RRFlyer siad, have your alignment double checked. If it had a more radial friendly alignment and you put bias ply tires on it, it will behave differently and make more noise. The factory alignment specs were designed for bias ply tires. Radials will tolerate a wider range of adjustments without making noise, when compared to a bais ply. This is why radials will tolerate a more aggressive alignement. Step back to bias plys, and you've got what amounts to a component mis-match.

Charger-Bodie

I have 2 sets of firestone redlines and one set of Good Year polyglass non of them make any noise unless they are trying ral hard to hook traction! Alignment or worn parts is likely the problem.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Ghoste

The alignment suggestion is advice that should be followed.  For whatever reason I was taking it as all four tires making noise but much more likely to only be the fronts scrubbing.