News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ANYBODY EVER STOOD UP AND FOUGHT THE H.O.A ???????????

Started by skip68, May 15, 2008, 11:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twodko

I really was trying to restrain myself Dave.........really.........more or less. :D

mpdlawdog, my Charger, kegerator(sp?) and BBQ are available for your inspection at anytime. I'll put a steak on for Khan too!
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

dkn1997

Quote from: mpdlawdog on August 11, 2011, 02:19:16 PM
Too bad you didnt live closer...I would stop by and check out your charger....maybe I could let Khan play with the neighbors!!!

Khan rules!!
RECHRGED

twodko

The question remains............is he Genghis or Kublai Khan?  :scratchchin:

Although I can clearly see Khan dawg racing down the Mongolian Steppes to slay the stains upon humanity. (prolly a bit of pillaging too but a Khan has to eat)  ;D

69Charger_440

Quote from: hemi68charger on August 11, 2011, 01:56:00 PM
Quote from: 69Charger_440 on August 11, 2011, 12:38:47 PM
Since you are the Prez of a HOA in Texas, would you mind stating whether you pay HOA fees?  I just want to be well informed so that our "newly" elected HOA leaders can't pull a fast one over us.  It's just that I've heard too many horror stories where a HOA member embezzles the HOA "dues."  No offense towards you, of course.

Yes, the subdivision residences pay an HOA fee, everyone (or, at least that's the way it's supposed to be, we have deadbeats.. But, that's another story). This is to pay for the costs of the up-keep/maintenance of the common areas, community playground, electric for lights, fountain in the pond, etc. I assumed any sort of subdivision with common areas would have some sort of fees associated with the bills associated to the neighborhood.

I totally don't want to run this place like a Nazi. Been on the other side and it isn't fun. Of course, this goes without saying... You'll have those that think living anywhere enables them to do anything they wish, regardless of the quality of life impact it has on surrounding neighbors and/or the fact they signed a document about the HOA at their closing. I wish I could do certain things myself, but know my limits..... I don't want to stereotype, but I believe most HOA members have good intentions. Usually, they learn as they go. There's no instruction manual. And of course, there's always the problem of lack of desire to be part of the program (hence, it's usually a handful of people that end up doing anything).

69Charger_440 & skip68, I wish you well in your situation............. I had to write my 1st "naughty" letter about a yard condition getting out of hand. I hate it... But the alternative is having a home that looks like sh^# then others complain about that..

As others have mentioned, it's probably going to be one of the most thankless volunteer jobs I ever do.....

Thanks for the info.   :2thumbs:

Lennard

Quote from: Tilar on May 16, 2008, 07:20:37 AM
I wouldn't have any place with a HOA, Simply because I wouldn't have anyone telling me what I can and can't do with my property.

Same here, to much stupid rules.

Kern Dog

[quote

Until your neighbor starts parking refrigerators and couches on the front lawn, 15 junk cars on the street and 54 cats in a school bus, right? People are always against HOAs until they wake up one day and realize that their neighborhood suddenly looks like Sanford & Son.
[/quote]

I agree to a point. Sure, you don't want a meth lab next door. Anyone can understand that. With fewer cops out there the shift from proactive policement to reactive enforcement has happened. With less police around, the enforcement of other annoyances falls by the wayside.
These HOAs are like any other laws, in that they were conceived with good intentions. The problem is, too many people do NOT read the fine print! There was a community in Sacramento that wouldn't allow homeOWNERS to wash their own cars in the driveway. They couldn't have their garage doors open longer than 20 minutes. The colors of the houses had to remain as built. Repaints were allowed but only in the same color. Cars were not allowed to be parked curbside even though the streets were plenty wide enough. Delivery and servicepersons were allowed though.  Although I dislike the hard line, driving through that neighborhood was nice. It was spotless and well groomed. Hardly anyone walking around though. THAT was a little spooky!

hemi68charger

I hated HOA's well. And now, low-and-behold, I'm the newest President of my HOA. More often than not, it is the stand-offish-let-someone-else-do-it people that don't participate in anything the community has to offer. They are usually the ones that complain if something gets out of hand. Anyone who moves into a neighborhood should get a feel for what they're getting themselves into. We all signed the document. If someone doesn't read the fine print and just goes with the flow at closing, shame on them. It's all in front of them. Personally, I won't have any tolerance for people who whine about an established or new rule. They all have/had a chance to participate in the system/process. I moved out of my old neighborhood because the HOA was so old and non-existant. I couldn't stand any more the multiple families living in one home (= tons of cars in the yard), Taqueira trucks and those damn roosters and hens.  :brickwall:  (obviously, this was before I educated myself on researching things, it was my first home)

Yes, HOA's were created with all good intentions, to protect one's investment and quality of life. Now, would I move into a community that caters to small-engine aircraft? (they do exist). Nope, I know there are going to be rules I think are either silly or unattainable financially. It's usually the people that participate or contribute that care enough about their surroundings to do something. Others? Well, they sort of blow with the wind. This is a generalized description and in no way reflects 100% of the people all the time. I agree, there are many HOA's out there that have their guidelines chiseled in granite. I've looked at homes in these sort of communities and ran like hell when I did my research before making an offer. Realtor didn't particularly like it, but oh well, they aren't buying the house.

There's always another side to the story............

OK, now I need to get someone to help volunteer to help setup the Thanksgiving children's parade around our pond.... Always gotta plan ahead....  :yesnod:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

twodko

Quote from: hemi68charger on August 13, 2011, 12:41:56 PM
I hated HOA's well. And now, low-and-behold, I'm the newest President of my HOA. More often than not, it is the stand-offish-let-someone-else-do-it people that don't participate in anything the community has to offer. They are usually the ones that complain if something gets out of hand. Anyone who moves into a neighborhood should get a feel for what they're getting themselves into. We all signed the document. If someone doesn't read the fine print and just goes with the flow at closing, shame on them. It's all in front of them. Personally, I won't have any tolerance for people who whine about an established or new rule. They all have/had a chance to participate in the system/process. I moved out of my old neighborhood because the HOA was so old and non-existant. I couldn't stand any more the multiple families living in one home (= tons of cars in the yard), Taqueira trucks and those damn roosters and hens.  :brickwall:  (obviously, this was before I educated myself on researching things, it was my first home)

Nicely stated real world synopsis Troy!

Yes, HOA's were created with all good intentions, to protect one's investment and quality of life. Now, would I move into a community that caters to small-engine aircraft? (they do exist). Nope, I know there are going to be rules I think are either silly or unattainable financially. It's usually the people that participate or contribute that care enough about their surroundings to do something. Others? Well, they sort of blow with the wind. This is a generalized description and in no way reflects 100% of the people all the time. I agree, there are many HOA's out there that have their guidelines chiseled in granite. I've looked at homes in these sort of communities and ran like hell when I did my research before making an offer. Realtor didn't particularly like it, but oh well, they aren't buying the house.

There's always another side to the story............

OK, now I need to get someone to help volunteer to help setup the Thanksgiving children's parade around our pond.... Always gotta plan ahead....  :yesnod:

hemi68charger

Quote from: Vainglory, Esq. on August 14, 2011, 04:05:55 PM
I'll just leave this here: http://gawker.com/5830257/the-horror-of-homeowners-associations

Each side has a story and this one's pretty slanted. These are real examples, but in no way, representative of the day-to-day responsibility and commitment most, I won't say all, HOA's have. And, to top it off, in most cases it's 100% volunteer.. Pacifist shouldn't complain about the Status Quo......

I love the quote, "When board members interpret the rules to suit their own ends,..."

HOA's help prevent one resident's wants interfering with the quality of life of others around them. If my current HOA is an example of other HOA's, the officers that become board member become that because no one else wants to do it. I agree about horror stories and I feel a little close to this subject since I've recently become President. Was it because I wanted to run the neighborhood? Heck no, I wanted to preserve the quality of life this community was designed for. Also, absolutely no one else wanted to do it..... If people want change, they have to initiate it. It's simple and common sense...... Suburban life is a fact, HOA's are a fact, that's why God made the country. I tell you want, if I won the lotto, I'd be gone from here, never having to deal with HOA's again and live a 1/4 mile from anyone. But, I haven't and I don't. I still have to abide by the same rules everyone else has to.

I'm already treading the fact I'm the President, but if I don't do it, who will? I refuse to let my investment and quality of life go down the drain because of someone's laziness or anti-establishment mentality.
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

charge69

Good for you Troy to step up and take the leadership role. They do not know how lucky they are having you as President and wish you much luck in a , largely , thankless job. :cheers:

I have lived in the same neighborhood for a long time and have dealt with both kinds of HOA management and a little kindness and understanding of the circumstances goes a long way. You definitely cannot please everyone but , a little patience and undertanding usually make for a positive outcome.

AKcharger

If what you say is true, that the HOA is ignoring blatent illegal activity and is targeting you for minor stuff, you'll get no where with them. Talk to your neighbor and hire an attorney, perhaps with both of you chipping in the cost will be tolerable (and easy to prove)

hemi68charger

Quote from: AKcharger on August 14, 2011, 09:46:29 PM
If what you say is true, that the HOA is ignoring blatent illegal activity and is targeting you for minor stuff, you'll get no where with them. Talk to your neighbor and hire an attorney, perhaps with both of you chipping in the cost will be tolerable (and easy to prove)

:iagree:
Troy

Rolling_Thunder

HOAs suck...   my friend was limited to building a 2 story house because of the HOA in the area...     so he dug down and added a 3rd floor as a basement.  :lol:    They also wouldnt allow his garage plan (too big) so he bought the land next to him and converted the house into a giant garage.   :D
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip