News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Suspect Engine Rebuild

Started by HeavyFuel, August 05, 2011, 11:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

OK.....I'm no engine rebuilder, so I had a shop do it a few years ago.  It's been in a plastic bag ever since, and now I'm hanging everything on the engine to get it ready to put in.

But, when I pulled out an intake manifold bolt to put on the carb return spring bracket, the bolt was dirty, like old oil.  And smelled like old oil.   Hmmmm....I dunno, maybe that's normal. :ahum:

Tonight, I pull off the distributor to have a peek inside.  The cam has no purple on it, although the builder billed me for a Mopar Perf Purple Cam Kit 4529270. :scratchchin:

The valve stems have what looks like black carbon at the base of the shafts, although not much.  I was billed for new valves.

I paid for a long block rebuild.....which I understood was pretty much a complete teardown and rebuild.    But did I get hosed?  :rotz:

Chryco Psycho

You know the answer , if this engine has never been run & the valves are carboned up , on top of an old engine smell from the intake bolts , purple cams do have purple on them , this has to have been run , no dyno time I assume ??
I would pull the intake & have a look , new lifters have a swirl pattern on the bottom , the engine should be spotless inside , everything should be coated in break in lube .
Not the first time I have had problems with a machinist !!

HeavyFuel

There is a bunch of milky/tannish type lube....and some clear lube...and the oil in the pan is like right out of the bottle.......so I don't think it has been run.

I'll take some pics tomorrow.

HeavyFuel

OK  I did a little research and it sounds like some of the purple cams didn't have all that much purple on them, so this one might have someon it somewhere, and I just can't see it.  Let's hope it is what I paid for.

And what I thought was a carboned up valve, is a pushrod, now that I think about it some more, which I'm pretty sure the builder did re-use.

So I might be OK.

HeavyFuel

My rebuilt water pump looks remarkably like original equipment but it is a differnt one (rebuilt).