News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

my radiator, what is this thing from?

Started by bajaherbie, August 07, 2011, 11:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bajaherbie

my 73 charger came with a 318 but i believe it must have come with a 383 or 400. the engine had been running hot but after adjusting the timing the water temp is down 20-30 degrees. the radiator in it is a chrysler product but i knew something was goofy because the overflow tube headed towards the battery and down the side and not towards an overflow container. ::) my mechanic suggested a new radiator so i bought a new one from autozone(ordered it for a 318 engine) but it is WAY TOO SMALL, the flanges are several inches short of the radiator support. and as a result the shroud is too wide to fit the new radiator. i've looked on the autozone website and i can get a radiator for a 400 for 75 clams more but then my shroud is going to be too small!

what can i do for a shroud that fits? the current radiator core measures 17 1/2" tall by 26" wide, the 400 autozone radiator is 18 3/4" tall by 27 5/8" wide which looks like it will bolt up fairly easily. where can i find a shroud? the only thing is both the inlet and outlet are on the passenger side of the radiator but i'm guessing  a 400 radiator hose will fit the 318..

please excuse my ignorance but i am really new to chargers....

here is the part numbers from the current chrysler radiator.    8574626

chrysler pentastar logo

18398

maxwellwedge

Try checking that part number again - It should not start with an 8.
OK - Found it.....3574626

1972  B and E body  26"  Auto or manual  318 and 340  with A/C

The stock rad rebuilt is more than enough for you.

They probably gave you a 22"......which aint going to work without a lot of duct tape... ;D

John_Kunkel

The number is probably 3574626 which is from a '72 B or E body with a 318/340 and A/C.

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bajaherbie

man, you guys are good! first number was a 3 and not an 8!

autozone does not have a radiator that will fit my shroud, i just called 1800radiator and they told me special order, call back in the morning :icon_smile_angry:

BananaDan

Have your original radiator rebuilt and recored.
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein