News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 Charger - Sorting out wiring and lots of questions

Started by levix, July 31, 2011, 12:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

levix

Completely new to pretty much anything car related but I've managed to acquire a 73 dodge charger, and I'm learning fast.

Needless to say my car has electrical 'issues' and believe me it's incredibly obvious as to some of the reasons. I'm slowly sorting things out but I've got lots of questions.

1. Could someone point me to a site which highlights the difference between a 1 wire / 3 wire alternator.
2. Where can I order high-temperature wiring sheathing?

3. What is (A)?
4. Is (B) voltage regulator usually mounted up here?
5. My ballast resistor (C) is nice and cracked which can't be good, the bottom two wires are spliced together which I'm assuming is wrong.
6. I'm not quite sure why I need a voltage regulator AND a ballast resistor. My understanding is that the voltage regulator is for the instruments / cluster, and the ballast is more used during starting...

7. What is the motor looking thing (D)?
8. I'm assuming it's bad to have that ridiculous mess of wires all going together like that.  :eek2: Ideas?
9. Does an ammeter have more components to it other than the actual gauge itself? i.e. is there something I should be looking to remove.

Thanx in advance.

nascarxx29

You have the right ignition ballast for your year car.same goes for the voltage regulator.the IVR known as the instrument voltage regulator is for the dash gauges .And not for the charging system .D looks like a supressor?.A some kind of a relay maybe for the AC
The dash amp gauge monitors charge and discharge condition. Delivered from properly working charging systems alt regulator good battery and ground .You can upgrade to 1 wire alternator with built in voltage regulator.In some cases you need to upgrade existing wiring to carry the extra load
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701