News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

carb backfire while starting

Started by moparguy01, August 05, 2011, 10:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparguy01

After sitting a day or two when I go start my charger I get a backfire through the carb which leads to a small carb fire. Now I thought it was the timing being slightly too retarded, so I tried checking that out. Unfortunately it didn't seem to make a difference.

What I'm wondering is that my distributor was modified, the vacuum advance was removed and a lean burn pickup plate was used for the light springs. Is it possible that this distributor is my problem? if so, has anybody used the 440 source billet distributor with mechanical advance? It looks close to the MSD one but for 1/3 the cost. I am going to be installing a MSD 6al box already.

Chryco Psycho

is the choke working , if it is too lean when cold it can backfire .
Ahve you done a compression check , what si the condition of the engine as it sits ?

moparguy01

The engine is fresh, I just broke the cam in the other day. There is no choke on it either.

FLG

Check your firing order, does the engine want to spin the other direction?

heyoldguy

Quote from: moparguy01 on August 05, 2011, 10:46:04 PMhas anybody used the 440 source billet distributor with mechanical advance? It looks close to the MSD one but for 1/3 the cost.

The 440 Source billet distributor(ProComp) would probably work in a completely stock engine. I have tried them twice in a performance application, once for myself and once for another person. The amount of mechanical advance is adjusted by bending some tabs inside the distributor. The savings in price, is not worth the complications and aggravation resulting from the bending process. Get the FireCore50, MSD, Mallory, Summit Street/Strip Billet (Mallory, just less expensive) or some other distributor if you are running any cam approaching 230 degrees at .050" lift.