News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Backfire when warm ??

Started by HOTROD, July 18, 2011, 12:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOTROD

This we been working on for a wile know ---When the car warms up it starts backfiring !!??
This is what we did Replaced Cam & lifters (rounded off lobes) spark plugs, wires,coil,and changed the carb (three different ones) and I used all extra Elect. parts I had (now i no they all work) each time started runs good -warmen up and dam backfire !!
:slap: the distributor just was replaced with a new one last month He drove the car around and backfired  :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: Any help Thanks Guys.
1970 RR 383 only one thing the engine bay looks stock and then I looked under the dash---and It looks like a race car set up!(The wiring under the dash)
What the Hell-Dumass !

bobs66440

Is it backfiring through the carb or exhaust?

resq302

Almost sounds like a mixture issue since it does not do it when it is cold (probably with the choke on) it is richer.  Could also be too that you have a vacuum leak that when the engine warms up, a part expands causing a bigger gap sucking more air in causing a lean condition.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

HOTROD

Exhaust .
I am thinken a Hole some were ? (vac) :shruggy:
What the Hell-Dumass !

bobs66440

It sounds like the coil is going bad, but you said it's new...do you have another you can try? :shruggy:...and you are running a ballast resistor, correct?

Check for vacuum leaks.

What is the timing set at?

Also, double check your firing order...make sure the plug wires are run correctly. Believe it or not, this is a common cause of tuning issues.  :yesnod:

HOTROD

We are going to check the Intake for holes and going to get a pic of the wiring .
The Ballast Resistor is Question able along with the wiring .
But got to what tell my Friend gets back from Cal.
What the Hell-Dumass !