News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Timing questions on my twin turbo 318

Started by elsensei, October 22, 2010, 12:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked72

Hows about a vid of this badboy running!  :popcrn: :drool5: :cheers:

Btw what does a megasquirt system cost?
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

Rolling_Thunder

a MSII computer and harness can be had for around $400...    but you'll have to source other parts like the injectors, intake, bungs, O2 sensor, throttle body...      but the joy of the MS is you can piece together affordable pieces like a Fox mustang Throttle body with say GM MAP, O2 and sensors...        :Twocents:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Wicked72

thats sounds like alot of fun. Hows the tuning part of the system? is it a pita or straight forward?
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Wicked72 on November 24, 2010, 08:15:58 AM
thats sounds like alot of fun. Hows the tuning part of the system? is it a pita or straight forward?

pretty straight forward if you understand the principals of an engine.    :2thumbs:

elsensei

Quote from: Wicked72 on November 23, 2010, 06:25:27 PM
Hows about a vid of this badboy running!  :popcrn: :drool5: :cheers:

Btw what does a megasquirt system cost?

Just saw this request so here ya go!

This is my dyno run-
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1612406120955
or
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B4iEKFT3lSDFNGJlOTM0MWQtYmY1My00MTJjLWJiYjctOTVlMzEwYTg4Njdk&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

Idling afterwards, at home. Just thought it looked/sounded cool. plus I love the "sleeper" aspect of turbos...no rough idle, nice and quiet then HOLYCOW!

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1600899353293
or
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B4iEKFT3lSDFOTA4YTRhODMtNjgxNi00OTQwLWIwZGEtNTYyMzBhOTBlOWU3&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

Re: megasquirt. Had an interesting couple weeks...was tuning last weekend, with my girlfriend in the car and went to write a new map while coasting in the fast lane, something I've done 100 times before...But this time, I had upgraded to the newest version of the tunerstudio PC software and believe me, it has bugs. Ended up wiping the MS unit clean and killing the engine dead. Fast lane had no shoulder, luckily I had enough momentum to coast to where a shoulder appeared again. It was a little unnerving to have cars going by both directions at 85 MPH while we waited for the tow truck. As it tuned out, my MS genius friend ryan had the SAME THING happen to another friend of his and we deduced that it was a software issue. So I reinstalled tunerstudio ver. 997 (999 is the killer) and reloaded everything and car is running tits right now. Still stand my MS and the best solution out there at any price, but beware 999. If anyone needs 997 (it's not available on the diyautotune.com website) hit me up.

coxie1996

I am thinking about a twin Turbo kit myself too.. but just an average question.. how much did this cost to do minis the twin Turbo kit.. intercooler, turbos, bov, tubing etc. And about how long did it take you to build this project.. good job! Thanks!

elsensei

Quote from: coxie1996 on June 28, 2011, 08:18:08 AM
I am thinking about a twin Turbo kit myself too.. but just an average question.. how much did this cost to do minis the twin Turbo kit.. intercooler, turbos, bov, tubing etc. And about how long did it take you to build this project.. good job! Thanks!

took about 2 years. not sure of your other question...there was no "kit" this was all hand made. I didn't add it all up but I'll tell you that quality parts cost. The turbos alone were $1600 each...347 stainless exhaust housings, v-band in and out, ball bearing, zero lag.

Rolling_Thunder

yeah -  sounds like a pretty costly addition.  But...   it seems well worth it.    :2thumbs:

Chryco Psycho

I would try a bit more initial timing up near 14 as long as no detonation appears , it should respond faster that way , the other place I would change is not dial out so much timing with boost , try 1/2* / lb using 34* peak under no boost & pulling back to maybe 28* . I doubt you need to pull the timing back into the low 20 range at full boost

elsensei

CP-

took your advice but went just a bit more conservative, starting at 13 and pulling 3/4 degree per lb. I'd say results were positive. I'll post my latest timing map later today and if you'd be so kind as to make any other suggestions I'd be game to try. Thanks. :)

Chryco Psycho

well if you understand what a carb does there should be a lot of adjustment but if it learns on its own maybe it will solve most of them , we pull timing with boost but 4-6* from peak would be max I have retarded timing you could get as high as 38*with no boost so you could be as high as 32* under boost  , Do you have a detonation sensor ?