News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

converter install what order?

Started by HeavyFuel, June 27, 2011, 02:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

The shop manual and the converter instructions both say to install the converter on the tranny as an assy, and to attach the flexplate to the crank.  

Then, connect the tranny bell housing to the engine block and attach the flexplate to the converter, through the opening left.

Did the factory do it this way, and if so, how can this picture be expained?  Wouldn't the converter have to be attached to the flexplate before the tranny install in order to get it blue like the motor?   :scratchchin:

John_Kunkel

If you've ever experienced the frustration of trying to plug a converter into a transmission while it's off the engine, you wouldn't ask.  :icon_smile_big: It'd be near impossible to line up the three components inside to converter to allow the engine/converter as a unit to be mated to the transmission.

It's just coincidence that both the motor and converter are the same color, they were painted at different locations.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

HeavyFuel

Hmmm.  Interesting.

Thanks, John.  I'll do it by the textbook.

One more thing.  I don't have that special tool that is used to make the pump rotor tabs vertical on the tranny input shaft prior to installing the converter.

Can I just insert something thin into the grove and pivot the tabs around to vertical?  Is there any other purpose to using the tool?

I hate doing stuff for the first time. :eek2:

maxwellwedge

Just slide the convertor on and push in gently while turning it.....you will feel it engage. Make sure to put some atf on the shaft and make sure it is fully engaged.

gtx6970

Do NOT attach it to the motor first - the chances you going to get it in the trans while attached the engine 1st is doubtful.

put some atf on the convertor snout and slide it into the ft pump. spin it a bit while keeping slight pressure against it to push it back. FYI it will hit 2 seperate stops before going all the way in. If not it's not all the way or or you got 'extremely' lucky.

John_Kunkel

If you keep constant pressure on the converter as you spin it, it can still turn the pump rotors due to friction and risks breaking the drive tangs; best to turn the converter slowly while alternately pulling out and pushing in lightly.

To be sure it's properly installed place a straight edge across the face of the bellhousing and measure in to one of  the drive lugs...should be at least 1/2".

HeavyFuel

Thanks, guys.

Hopefully I'll get my TCI flexplate in the mail soon.  I went with a 10" Hughes 24-25 and so my factory flexplate wouldn't work.

I read somewhere to fill the converter with ATF prior to installing, so I'll be doing that as well.

John_Kunkel

Due to it's shape you can't "fill" the converter, even if you could, half would spill out as you turned it verticle to install it; just pour one quart of fluid in it before installation and be sure the shifter is in Neutral (not Park) for the initial run.

HeavyFuel

Got things together over the 4th weekend.....it all went smoothly. :2thumbs: 

I put a quart of ATF into the converter first, slobbered a little on the end, and after some jiggling, it double tapped right on.

Yeah, I can't imagine trying to put the converter on the flexplate/engine and then trying to mate it to the tranny. :eek2: