News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Changing from A/C to non A/C- opinions

Started by NHCharger, June 30, 2011, 07:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHCharger

Over the years I have grown to hate my vacuum controlled heat & A/C on my 71. all the A/C parts are missing. I took the entire heater box assembly, vacuum lines, water control valve and control switch out last winter, cleaned everything , replaced all the vacuum lines. Had everything working on the work bench using my vacuum pump. Reinstall everything and it doesn't work (yes I have plenty of engine vacuum).
So my 68 Charger project has A/C, and all the A/C parts are missing. Since I'm doing a Bullitt/R/T clone I don't care about originality. I'm considering buying a non A/C heater box at Carlisle next week. I know I will have to modify the firewall as well.
Will it really hurt the value that much since I'm also changing the color and the car came with a non#'s drivetrain and a new black interior in place of the green interior??
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

A383Wing

depends on what your plans for the car in the future...you gonna keep it forever? It's yer car...do what you want...

but if you plan on selling the car later in life...ya might wanna keep the AC stuff and let it go with the car when it's time to sell.

yes, firewall modifications are going to be needed....I took factory AC out of my 66 and put in stock heater box...welded up the firewall so it could not be seen as an AC car

six-tee-nine

I understand your idea I cant advise you not to do it, since I'll be doing it myself. I do advise you to think it over well.

I'm converting my 69 R/T car to a 4 speed car and I might add a Hemi to that in the future. I'm removing the ac to make it look stock ( since AC wasnt avail on a Hemi with standard trans).
I know my car wont match my fender tag no longer but i bought it as a rolling shell without an engine or trans so the real value was long gone before i got it. If it was a full #'s matching survivor car I would never do such a change to it.

Otherwise, I think you need to do it correct. That means patching up the ac holes and make the non ac heater holes in the right place. I bought a non ac firewall from a guy on Moparts from a salvage car (only the right section where the heater holes are) and will replace my ac firewall with that.

I kinda stole the idea from Brian (1HotDaytona) who did this mod to his daytona clone

Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

A383Wing

yea..I did the same thing on my 66....only I patched every hole that was for the AC

jaak

I took all the compressor, hoses, etc. out of my engine bay, changed over to non-a/c brackets, pulleys. But I did not alter the firewall in case I want to put the a/c back on in the future, which I probably will down the road, its just not a priority as of now.

Jason