News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question about chip updates

Started by zoom, August 02, 2011, 07:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoom

Hi.
I just bought my first Charger. Brand new 2011 Black RT Road & Track package. I am beyond stoked with this car.

I had a buddy who bought a Triumph motorcycle a few years ago and he would go back to the dealer every now and then and they'd update his chip. They'd get rid of a flat spot in the power curve or something.

Does Dodge do anything like that? I'm sure over the course of a year they get feed back from their dealers and customers and tweak things or fix bugs. Don't they?
"This is my witty sig."

Ghoste

I'm not aware of anything like that from Dodge but you might want to see if there is anything in the Mopar Performance catalog that can help you.  Your best bet is probably in the aftermarket.

Chryco Psycho

the dealer can reflash the computer if updates are available

xpbprox

IMO flashes from the dealer won't give you much performance improvement, if that's what you're going for. IMO it's not really worth it to get a tuner for your 5.7 to only gain about 15-20 hp. It's nor cost effective, hardware modification would be my first approach but then you will void your warranty, and it's jot as simple as reflashing the ecu. I would just leave it as is and enjoy it, I had a 5.7 in my 05 magnum back in the day and I loved it, it was all stock!

Troy

The software is updated all the time - generally to "fix" stuff that doesn't work as expected (like my cruise control that didn't actual control my speed). I had my Tahoe "updated" to use E85. Sometimes it will affect engine parameters but only to make it do what it was supposed to do in the first place. The thing with Dodge is that - as far as I know - they'll charge you to "flash" the computer (unless it's a warranty repair). In that case it's not something you want to do very regularly.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

zoom

Thanks Troy. Good info. Is there a way to get the get the car to spit out firmware versions without a chip reader?

Xpbprox, I'm not really looking for a performance gain. Just to have as few "bugs" as possible. I work on computer hardware for a living and see first hand some of the stuff that's in firmware of first gen devices that gets fixed later in the product cycle!
"This is my witty sig."

skip68

YOU should search the web for a website that is for the new Dodge Chargers.  This site is geared for the old 1966-1974 Chargers. Aka, muscle cars.   

We do have a few members that have the new cars but info is limited here.   
Good luck.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

zoom

"This is my witty sig."

Ghoste

Actually you should stay.  You may find a greater pool of knowledge relating to your particular car at the other sight but by sticking around and sharing it here you can help this one grow.

FLG

I don't think skip meant it for you to leave, as we might have some info but you'll probably get more info on the lx forum for example. Your more than welcome to stay.