News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Quicky question

Started by chargd72, July 01, 2011, 09:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargd72

Taking oil pan off the big block this weekend.  Are there any other gaskets I need to replace besides oil pan and timing cover?  Don't want to find out half way thru? 

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

71wrenchhead

usually no, you should be good with just those 2
Got slapped by my wife for keeping an engine in the bedroom........yeah, pretty much sums up my life

chargd72

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

71wrenchhead

wait, i lied......waterpump.....depending
Got slapped by my wife for keeping an engine in the bedroom........yeah, pretty much sums up my life

GPULLER

Are you removing the timing cover completely?  If so you'd need water pump gaskets and a crank seal to put back into the timing cover.  At least I would if the cover is off.

71wrenchhead

so would i, but only if your old crank seal is junk, usually if you just replaced it recently, itll be fine
but if you got the extra couple bucks and your takin the whole timing cover off, go ahead and replace it. might as well if your already there

chargd72

I wasn't planning on taking the timing cover off.  I've only done this on a small block and the bottom of the timing cover seals the front of the oil pan.  Can I do it with keeping the timing cover in place?

GPULLER

Should be able to do it without pulling the cover off.  Two bolts from the pan go into the timing cover.