News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

72 charger oil pressure

Started by 400mag, June 17, 2011, 02:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do I need to change the oil pump or is something else wrong?

change oil pump?
1 (25%)
or something else?
3 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 4

400mag

I have a 72 Charger with a 400. I just went to change the oil on it. I started it up and noticed the oil pressure guage showed no oil pressure.  And after a little while of it running i could hear the lifters making noise.  I was scared to start it up again because the lifters were sounding loud. Do i need to change the oil pump or is something else wrong?

justcruisin

Could be a number of things, first check is that you actually have oil in there. Could be the pump, remove the distributor and check the pump drive. Use a drill and a long bit with a flat on it to turn the pump, if you have no pressure, remove the filter and check for oil while turning the pump. If still no oil could be a bad pump, blocked pickup or the pickup has droped off or sucking air. You will have to work through a few things.

400mag

Thank you!  I replaced the oil pump, and found out that the oil pump was the problem!  I had replaced the oil pump about 4 years ago though.  But it works now!

Thanks!