News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Shifter linkage issue - SOLVED

Started by BananaDan, May 12, 2011, 09:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BananaDan

I swapped out my 727 shifter and linkage kit for a new one from B/E & A.  The problem is, I can't get the shifter down to fully engage 1st gear.  The round arm/bar with the bend that connects the shifter to the Z-bar hits my shifter bracket that is welded to the tunnel, preventing the shifter from being able to go all of the way down into first gear.  If I adjust the adjustment bar and bolt under the car to change the throw of the arm to get it down to first then she won't engage back up into Park because the shifter isn't able to throw the trans lever up enough into Park.  Right now I have her adjusted so Park engages and shifting down to first doesn't.

Has anyone run into this problem?

Dan
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

Rolling_Thunder

can you post a pic ?     not doubting your issue - just would be easier to see the problem - plus i like pictures      :scratchchin:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

BananaDan

Here she is in Park:

Here is what should be 1st, but she doesn't fully engage and you can see where she's hitting the bracket.

I tried adjusting the trans lever underneath the car, but when I do to allow first to engage then Park won't engage.  Is it just fine tuning I need to do on the adjustment nut on the trans lever underneath?  Or is it possible these linkage kits are off just a little bit and I may need to cut a notch in the shifter bracket?

Dan

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

Rolling_Thunder

well -  does look like it may have been made slightly off -  but i'm not sure...    could just give a slight bend or cut on your bracket to fix the problem easily - -   not sure of its the rod or something else going on there ---   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Just 6T9 CHGR

Dan, do you have your original arm to compare the bend/radius to the new one?

If its off maybe you can either reuse the old one or reshape the new one to work?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BananaDan

troy.70R/T

I bought so 4-speed Linkage from them for my 70 Charger and it was junk. The reverse rod was not correct at all. 

BananaDan

So what do you guys think I should do?  Notch my bracket?  Notch the linkage arm?  Fine a used one and see if it's different?  Luckily I don't have to make a decision soon, I don't need to be able to drop her to 1st gear to enjoy her (for now...).

Charger-Bodie

Can the rod be flipped end for end?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

BananaDan

No, it only goes in one way.  But if you look at this picture of my old linkage arm, you can see a light second bend that the repro one doesn't have.  Maybe I have to call Mike at BEA.

BananaDan

I found one that claims to be correct on eBay, but its bends don't look like my new one or my old one.  Anyone have a picture of a correct original linkage arm?

A383Wing

I got some OE ones here from a 66.....but I can't get to them until tomorrow

(I know....no help as usual)

tan top

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on May 14, 2011, 03:19:32 PM

:yesnod:   yep thats how it goes

well  i'm pretty sure!!  
remember when i done the resto on mine  , thinking thats odd if the pin comes out the linkage will fall down ! :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

terrible one

I went out and took a few pictures of mine, which I believe to be original (and badly worn.) I hope it helps. The first thing I notice is our console brackets look a bit different . . . you can clearly see the half circle notch that I have in my photos. I also took a photo of a spare shifter I have with brackets still attached, and it has the notch cut out as well. Also there is a picture of the shift rod too. (Only one bend it looks like)  :shruggy: Seeing the paint writing on your bracket I assume it's from a junkyard and your car didn't come with console originally? Maybe the brackets differed just a bit between the different B bodies. If I were you, I would just notch the bracket to make it look like the ones I pictured. Again, hope that helps

My shifter bracket:

Spare shifter bracket:

And the shifter rod:

A383Wing

BananaDan

Interesting, thanks guys.  Do you think I'd have a better change at cutting that notch free-hand with my dremel and cutting wheel?  Or do you think I could do it with a hole saw on my drill, just cutting a partial radius?  My car is an original auto/console car, but my previous owners have done some crazy things to her so who the hell knows what they put in/on her.  I have found A, B and C body parts on her, ranging from 66-73.  She was quite the bit of a Frankenstein.

Dan

BananaDan

I just did some quick research and it looks like all 66-70 b-body brackets have that notch cut out.  The brackets I have must either be a crappy repro from many many years ago, or it isn't a b-body bracket?  I looked at AMD's brackets and they have the notch too.   :shruggy:

terrible one

Pretty weird!  :shruggy: At least you know what's up now. As for the cutting, I being limited on tools would clearance it with a high speed cutting bit on the Dremel until it doesn't make contact anymore. Does your console and everything mount up correctly? If so, I'd just hit the bracket with the Dremel and call it good.

BananaDan

Yep, the console fits fine.  You never know what these poor cars went through in their lives.  40 years is a long time...

terrible one

Quote from: BananaDan on May 14, 2011, 11:12:00 PM
Yep, the console fits fine.  You never know what these poor cars went through in their lives.  40 years is a long time...

I heard that! I know if mine could talk it would have some stories :yesnod:

A383Wing

so you don't need the use of my 66 shifter rods?

(probably good that you don't....I would prolly hurt myself digging them out)

BananaDan

Quote from: A383Wing on May 14, 2011, 11:41:21 PM
so you don't need the use of my 66 shifter rods?

(probably good that you don't....I would prolly hurt myself digging them out)

I don't think so, thanks though.  I thought I did until I saw the pics showing that my shifter bracket is supposed to have that cut-out.  And great timing guys, because I was going to install my console tomorrow and figure this out eventually.  Now I can fix it tomorrow before console install.

Dan

BananaDan

I did the deed today, she now goes all of the way down to first.  The linkage still kind of hits the bracket, but at the same time the shifter is all of the way down on the gate in first position so I left it like that.

Marked for cutting:

After cutting:

In Park:

In First:

tan top

Quote from: tan top on May 14, 2011, 04:03:08 PM
Quote from: 1HotDaytona on May 14, 2011, 03:19:32 PM

:yesnod:   yep thats how it goes

well  i'm pretty sure!!  
remember when i done the resto on mine  , thinking thats odd if the pin comes out the linkage will fall down ! :scratchchin:

i know you got this sorted now , but was curious to see
as i was taking pictures for another thread , thought i would wip the top plate off to look see if i was remembering it correctaly !  looks like i remembered it wrong  :icon_smile_blackeye:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html