News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which engine bolt-on parts were not painted engine color?

Started by bull, February 20, 2011, 02:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Here's the list I'm thinking of so far that was NOT painted along with the engine: carb/air cleaner, distributor/plug wires/plugs, alternator/brackets, pulleys/belts, steering pump/brackets, fan, hoses, coil... what else?

Bolt-on items that were painted: spark plug wire brackets, fuel pump, water pump/housing, exhaust manifolds, part of the negative battery cable, intake, thermostat housing, valve covers and pan (of course), oil pump...

bull

Dans 68

I guess so. ;)  Apparently a tough question.  :scratchchin:   I'll look in my "reference" manuals tonight.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Just 6T9 CHGR

Your list looks pretty complete...only thing I can add that gets painted is the oil sending unit..
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger-Bodie

the "other" ground cable on the rear gets some paint also.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on February 22, 2011, 09:52:07 PM
Your list looks pretty complete...only thing I can add that gets painted is the oil sending unit..

Yes - If it is the small one - The big one with a guage is not painted.

Bellhousings got painted as well.

bull

Oops. Mine won't. :icon_smile_blackeye:

bull

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on February 22, 2011, 10:07:10 PM
the "other" ground cable on the rear gets some paint also.

Quote from: maxwellwedge on February 22, 2011, 10:09:41 PM

Yes - If it is the small one - The big one with a guage is not painted.

You guys lost me. What are we talking about?

Charger-Bodie

There is another grond that goes to the firewall. It also has some paint on it.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

gtx6970

engine to firewall ground,
oil pressure sender ( I didn't know this one) I knew the big bell type one is left plated
spark plug wire shields, all the spark plug wire brackets and clips

ALTHOUGH, I'm not 100% certain the small single wire circular clip on the pass side is engine color.
Due to it's design, I tend to think it makes more sense it was as molded bare plastic

bull

So what was the process in the factory? It seems apparent to me that they painted at least some parts of the engine while in the car. Why else would certain wires have paint on them?

Charger-Bodie

The wires that have paint on the were on the engine when painted, not in the car.

bull

gtx6970

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on February 23, 2011, 06:21:19 PM
The wires that have paint on the were on the engine when painted, not in the car.

just to clarify this statement.

there are only 2 wires attached when the engine is painted, Negastive battery cable, and the firewall ground cable ( for 1969 anbd older years only btw)

The spark plug wires MIGHT have paint on them from being installed while the engine paint is still wet

471_Magnum

What about the choke thermostat? I'm thinking NOT painted.

One more thing to add to the painted list: bypass hose on small blocks.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."