News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do I check if power steering pump works?

Started by sixpack_sid, May 22, 2011, 12:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I have the original power steering pump for a 68 Charger. It is off of the engine-I am putting the engine together on a stand- and when I spin the pulley, no fluid comes out of the return line. Does this mean the pump is no good?
I don't want to buy a new one if mine is ok.
Is there a way to check it without having it on a running car?
Thanks!
Sid
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

six-tee-nine

Put it in a vise or something to hold it and spin the pulley with a drill or something. Try to press a piece of rubber in between your drill head and the pulley centre and spin the pump a little faster and pour some oil in the suction line. If it works the oil should squirt out on the pressure side.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...