News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone on this forum know this car on ebay?

Started by tpetty, March 16, 2011, 10:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tpetty

Just wondering if anyone here has knowledge of this car for sale on ebay.  Looks nice, but is not an original RT.  Just wondering if the owner is a forum member, or if anyone has seen the car before?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140523673047&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

In general, do RT clones bring a price between a regular Charger and a true RT of a similar condition?  I like the 4 speed and AC.  I realize that's not factory correct -- but neither is a 6 pack  ;)

Dans 68

I've not seen this car before. It looks very nice. I imagine the price point is somewhere between an XP and an XS Charger. And a 4-speed and factory A/C was possible (a handful exist) in a '68 Charger - in a 383 4-bbl. Only the 6-pack is not factory correct.  ;)

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Tilar

At first glance it looked like the one that 1Hot68 (I think) sold a while back. but his had red interior and a black stripe if I remember right.

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

PocketThunder

wow that sucker is bad ass.  you can pass everything except a gas station in that car...   :rofl:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

tpetty

I've been looking for a black 4 speed -- was really hoping to get one without the vinyl top, but I guess that can always be taken off in the future when it's time for a repaint.

charge-it

That Charger is a beauty. Of course I'm a little partial in my opinion. Here's my quadruple black 68. Black vinyl, black paint, matte black stripe, black interior. It has a 440 4 bbl, hemi 4 speed, 3:54 dana 60 and I have put about 2000 miles on it since finishing it. Since gas prices have risen I will be down sizing from a 440 cubic inch engine to a 426 cubic inch engine in the near future...Yes, the 426 with the spark plugs in the valve covers  :icon_smile_big:.

Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

LUMI

Quote from: charge-it on March 19, 2011, 04:36:24 PM
Since gas prices have risen I will be down sizing from a 440 cubic inch engine to a 426 cubic inch engine in the near future...Yes, the 426 with the spark plugs in the valve covers  :icon_smile_big:.

you have calculated it wrong :RantExplode:
calculate how much 2.0 liter Toyota takes MPG per that 2.0 litre engine
and then how much a bigger 440 engine takes MPG to that 7.2 litre
440 is much more cost-effective :coolgleamA: so go with a BIGGER engine not a smaller one :angel:

tpetty

Can ya'll help me with the valuation?  This seems like a tough one to me, because the car is so un-original, but not really a "restomod" either.  It's apparently been done to a fairly high standard, but has a non-matching numbers engine (a '70 440-6 upgraded to estimated 500 hp) and added AC, completely restored as an RT clone.

I'm really unsure what is reasonable here.  Asking price is $50k.  Maybe I could get it for the mid 40's (it's been relisted on ebay, not selling in the low 40's multiple times).  If it was a matching numbers RT it would be much easier to get a value from comparable sales, price guides, etc.

Ebay seems to show selling support around $43k.  What would it cost to build this car -- since you could start out with any non RT?  (And no, I don't have the skills to restore a car myself.)  Does $45k seem reasonable -- or does that number seem flabbergasting for a non RT?

Tilar

Hard to tell. That is pretty much the car that I am wanting to build. I have what was a 318 with a 3 on the tree (rare in its own right) and the only other options was the light group and a radio. Mine will end up with a 440 and either a 4sp or A512 overdrive and everything else but power windows and I even have part of that and may still finish with it.

Right now I have well over 14k invested and the only thing i've done is remove the 400 engine and the interior, but it was a Texas car with little rust so I do have a lot to work with. I'm just guessing but I imagine I'll have close to that without labor.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Roger 68 charger

I remember that car was for sell before ,because I was asking about the seats. I'll see if I can find that thread.
68 charger RT 505"
70 cuda
99 Durango

Troy

For not being "stock" it is tastefully done (seats for example). To be honest, you'd have nearly that much (or more) in duplicating that car - especially if you had to farm out all the work. Realistically, you could have $4-15k in the drive train, $2-5k in the interior, and $10-20k in paint and body if you started with a project (and $5-15k to start). Add in all the trim, glass, suspension, steering, wheels, tires, lights, lenses, and labor and you've got another $10-20k in it. It doesn't look like the underside and the trunk were really "restored" so it's hard to say if all the components are new. I'm not really a fan of sticking a Six Pack and pistol grip (70+ items) on a 68 but a lot of people like it. It's easy enough to put back to stock.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Roger 68 charger

68 charger RT 505"
70 cuda
99 Durango

SRT-68

Troy is right, you would have a hard time building that car for what they are asking. Ask for more photos of the bottom of the car if you cant see it in person. Also ask for build photos if they have them.

Real nice car.

troutstreamnm

$60K seems like an awful lot for a clone-R/T car regardless of how much it costs to build.  I would think $50K-$60K for a real R/T would be more in line.
2008 SRT-08 Challenger
1971 GA4 Challenger
1970 FK5 Charger 500

doctor4766

Quote from: tpetty on May 03, 2011, 03:12:36 PM
Can ya'll help me with the valuation?  This seems like a tough one to me, because the car is so un-original, but not really a "restomod" either.  It's apparently been done to a fairly high standard, but has a non-matching numbers engine (a '70 440-6 upgraded to estimated 500 hp) and added AC, completely restored as an RT clone.

I'm really unsure what is reasonable here.  Asking price is $50k.  Maybe I could get it for the mid 40's (it's been relisted on ebay, not selling in the low 40's multiple times).  If it was a matching numbers RT it would be much easier to get a value from comparable sales, price guides, etc.

Ebay seems to show selling support around $43k.  What would it cost to build this car -- since you could start out with any non RT?  (And no, I don't have the skills to restore a car myself.)  Does $45k seem reasonable -- or does that number seem flabbergasting for a non RT?
I'd be happy to pay 45k for that car, as long as it was built well and there were no hidden suprises .
Gotta love a '69

69 OUR/TEA

Is it worth is,here's your answer,its still for sale,right!!!!Way to much for a clone,besides not even done to original .

Bobby41909

"Value" to me is all about the quality of the restoration.  $70k-$80k is easy to spend on a professionally restored car done right that you can get in and drive without issue (reliable).  The key word is "right"...We've all seen plenty of cars that look nice until you inspect them (polished turd...fluff and buff).

Just because it's a "real R/T" doesn't mean it's worth more then a clone.  The "real R/T" could have been painted in a barn with the 40 year old interior dyed compared to a professional restored clone with everything new and driveability upgrades.  Of course if you have something extremely rare that doesn't hold true but most of us don't. 

It's not worth crap (to me) if you can't drive it no matter how nice it looks.  Driving with crap breaking every other mile doesn't count. 

The car in this thread looks nice, if upon inspection, it's confirmed it's been done right, I don't see issue with his price.  If it's a fluff and buff...well then it's over priced.  Can't tell from pictures and can't assume they did it all "right" because certain things were done nicely.

Then again if all your interested in is getting your money back out of it when you sell it, buy an all original car, look at it in your garage and tell everyone what you have.

tpetty

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on May 03, 2011, 07:38:51 PM
Is it worth is,here's your answer,its still for sale,right!!!!Way to much for a clone,besides not even done to original .

Well, that's why I think price is hard on cars like this -- they intentionally aren't done to original.  The car is arguably more desirable than if it was restored to original (it would just be a plain jane Charger, maybe a small block?).  And as you know, the 6 pack, Hurst shifter, AC with manual 440 -- those just aren't available on an original '68.

472 R/T SE

Sounds like they're trying 2 break even.  While there's nothing wrong with that, how often does it honestly happen?

Like mentioned, there's a reason why it's still for sale.  In today's market, $35k-$37k.

Troy

I answered the question of whether it could be built for less. No one (hardly) ever really gets back out what they put in so it's almost always cheaper to buy than build. As for what it's worth: whatever someone is willing to pay. This market sucks so it's hard to believe anyone is making a profit selling finished cars. A real R/T in similar condition should bring more money and it should be able to hold its value better as well. Custom touches generally decrease the value - to a point. If they are well done and useful (A/C, cruise, disc brakes, EFI, etc.) then the value can actually go up. However, not everyone wants a "stock" looking, feeling, and driving car and making mods to an R/T is generally frowned upon. The "originality at all costs" line of thinking has certainly dampened what used to be a fun hobby. It's hard to argue though when prices are as high as they have been in recent years.

I am personally willing to pay more than market value if it's something that I really need/want or it fits with the way I use my cars (ie nearly maintenance free and/or something I can fix with my limited skills and tools). Hopping into a car that I can enjoy right away adds a LOT of value. My free time is worth a lot to me so spending all my nights and weekends "fixing" a car instead of driving is a massive expense.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

69 OUR/TEA

What I meant was,2 cars done to pretty much the same quality level of resto,a non R/T and the other a real R/T,it' s obvious a real R/T is worth more,and with what they are asking for that car,I think you can find a real R/T for that price,just my opinion.No matter how nice it is,cost of build or not,just because someone sank $60k into a clone does'nt mean they will be getting it back.When you build cars, you should be willing and ready to take a loss.Thats why you should be carefull on how much you dump into a car if you ever have plans of selling.Unless you have done all the work yourself,including the paint and bodywork which comes up to a very hefty sum in most cases,and had to pay shops,you could very easily be going way over what the return on a certain car can be.
As nice as that car looks,I would think $30-$35K tops.A friend of mine just sold his 69 R/T SE matching numbers,I would say #3 car,light show car quality,cruise night car for low 30's.

472 R/T SE

That amount is what I initially typed.  No...really.  I know better than to put much stock in what the auctions went up to.

I was gonna say, if any of the auctions are legit I would have jumped all over the final price of the first one.   ;)