News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

how do dealers try to sell you a car?

Started by CB, April 27, 2011, 07:54:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CB

When you would be (window)shopping around for a young used car (a 2010 Chally SE in my case) , how do you approach a car dealer?
Is an advertised price negotiable?
What extra costs do dealers add most of the time?

Any good advise you could share?

Thanks
CB

PS: still not sure which road I'll take, staying with an +40yo muscle car project which cost me a fortune on parts, gas etc or buying 1 of the nicest Modern Mopars or a Hemi truck
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

41husk

I will tell you, the new Challenger is very nice but it is not the same as the old cars,  They are both neat and have the cool factor it is just different.  If you go with the new and get rid of the old you will miss it badly :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

resq302

Personally, I would not sell your charger unless you absolutely had to.  They are A LOT easier to work on than newer computerized cars and probably have parts that are cheaper.  Yes, I know, mopars are not cheap in general but if a wheel bearing should go, its only a couple dollars vs. a challenger that is a sealed wheel bearing that you have to replace the entire hub which is now over (im assuming) $50 plus labor.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Chatt69chgr

Everything is negotiable.  And dealers will add everything they can.  They usually make more money on used cars than on new ones.  One key is to never get emotionally attached to a specific  car or for that matter display any emotion while "window shopping".  You would show up at the dealer and start looking around at a nice commuter car.  Look at several and not Challengers.  At some point, you might walk past the Challenger and casually ask about it.  You really need to have done some homework before this.  You need to know exactly what equipment is on the car and know what condition it's in.  You can determine from this what the actual value of the car is.  Talk to your credit union or bank ahead of time and get approved for any needed financing.  Know exactly how much $$ you want to put down and how much you want to finance.  
So you have stopped and shown casual interest in the car.  Well, you might be interested.  At this point, you might say, is this price negotiable.  If they say no, look at a couple more cars and then leave.  You might say, I kind of like that car but couldn't pay that for it.  They will probably call you and ask "What would you give for the car".  Here, you will have to decide what you would be willing to pay.  Lo ball that number.  If they say they couldn't do that, then say What could you do.  Depending on the time of month and how desperate they are to make a sale, they will either negotiate or not.  Always be willing to walk away.  There will always be another deal.  Might take a while.  But there will be.  
Dealers have something called ADP.  Stands for Additional Dealer Profit.  I'm not sure on used cars but on new ones there is a whole list of stuff they like to add.  Doc Fee is one.  Refuse to pay any of this.  
But keep in mind that a dealer has to make a profit to stay in business.  And vehicles that sell fast and are popular will command a higher price.  This is nothing unusual.  All you can do is dispassionately look and when you find a deal go for it.

Try to keep your Charger if at all possible.  It's not everyday transportation like the Challenger is.  It will never be as reliable.  But if you sell it, you will regret it probably. 

kokxville

CB,
I've had a almost new hemi truck.Great truck with a lot of power.I've had a chance to drive a new challenger last year.Awesome car.But when it comes to the real old muscle cars,there's simply no replacement for them.You will sure miss al the noises and brutal power and handling.Back in the day this was real driving,and even today it still is awesome to drive one of the greates cars in american history.

Or....do you want a daily driver?Then it's a complete different story and worth considering this
Try to keep the charger if you can,you know these are valueable cars.Specially here in Europe :cheers:
If you want to trade it in at a dealership on a 2010 challenger,don't bring money.They should give you $$$ with the challenger.And you want a S.E. too?   :rotz:
Look at what price you can buy a 2009-2010 challenger S.E. for in the u.s.To equal value with your charger,you should get at least a challenger R/T. :yesnod:
And btw what are these new challengers worth within the next 5 years?  :Twocents:

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

bull

Decide exactly what you want (color, engine, trans, features) and then figure out exactly what that car is worth before you ever step foot onto a dealer's lot. Then find a dealer that has the exact car you are looking for and go there. Once you are armed with all the facts you can play dumb as much as you want.

FastbackJon

"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

CB

Thanks a lot for the info guys!

Been doing some research and I came to the conclusion I'll never be able to afford a car like a Chally :icon_smile_blackeye:
And I won't work two jobs just to own a new Mopar.

Taxes in Belgium are extremely high.

I have to come up with annual tax of $3800.
For insurance it's another 1200.
With the gas price of $9,55 a gallon driving a V6 or V8 is insane.

Best part is that I will hang on to the Charger for now.  :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

41husk

I think you have made a wise choice.  I think you would have regretted getting rid of your charger
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up