News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 HP what to do

Started by Shmity1, July 21, 2011, 09:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shmity1

I am working on a rebuild of the car and just pulled the engine last night.  She ran good before I took it out and it has an edelbrock torquer and I was told a cam.  I am planning on checking compression tonight to see how everything sits.

What to do from there if compression is good?

I would like 500hp, but 400hp is probably more inline with the budget.  Lots and lots will be spent on the rest of the car.

Also, any recommendations for engine work in Portland, OR?

Thanks

Shmity

Ghoste

A stroker kit and aluminum heads with a cam intake carb combination matched to your goals.  What is the budget??

Shmity1

$3k would be nice.

Stroker $2k
Heads $1k
Build $1k

????

Budnicks

The Stroker & Aluminum heads will make it easier, You can build a 383ci to 500 hp with out a stroker kit, you will need very good ported cylinder heads, very good ported intake & properly tuned carb, very good exhaust system & tuned headers, very good camshaft w/solid lifter or roller camshaft & adjustable valve train components (preferably roller) & quality push rods, very good HOT ignition system w/quality distributor (plugs, cap, rotor, wires), balanced short block assembly, with all components matched for your combo, tuned & assembled properly.. A good rule of thumb is at least $10/per HP @ 500hp = $5000 is more like it for cost... Call Mancini Racing 800-843-2821 they won't steer you wrong.. good luck...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Chryco Psycho

Los of used steel 440 cranks out there , I would drop in 440 rods & crank buy some pistons , do a Lunati cam .
I have a friend in Vancouver that just had his engine machined / 383 to 438 stroker , I can find out how he liked the machinist . he seemed knowledgable when I met him .

Budnicks

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 24, 2011, 02:55:05 PM
Los of used steel 440 cranks out there , I would drop in 440 rods & crank buy some pistons , do a Lunati cam .
I have a friend in Vancouver that just had his engine machined / 383 to 438 stroker , I can find out how he liked the machinist . he seemed knowledgable when I met him .
You will need the crankshaft counter weights turned down to a smaller diameter & rebalanced to fit the 413-426-440 3.75" (stock diameter is 7.48") crankshaft in a B-series engine unless you use H-Beam style aftermarket rods w/cap screws & I think you would still need to trim the crank counterweights down to 7.120"-7.250" (depending on your blocks core shift) diameter I believe is the number, if you don't, you will need to grind a bunch of spots in the underside of the block getting dangerously close to water & oil passages... Otherwise it's a great engine combo make 426ci w/std 4.250" bore or 431ci w/+0.030" 4.280" overbore & 438ci w/+0.060" 4.310" overbore in a 383ci block, the 400ci would be more cubes because of larger 4.35" std bore... Good luck...

Shmity1

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 24, 2011, 02:55:05 PM

What is the name of the machine shop?

Thanks

Shmity

Budnicks

440source or Mancini Racing has some great ready to drop in, already cut to proper counter weight diameters (7.120" for B-engines) & mains ground to the correct sizes....

Chryco Psycho

I will get back to you after I contact my friend

Chryco Psycho

It's Tom's Performance in Vancouver, WA 360-256-1722.
My friend is happy with the work he has done for him on a 383 stroker for him

Shmity1

Is getting the engine machined and then purchasing everything from 440source an option?  It would seem that I can get more bang for my buck if I do it this way.  Will I have a reliable engine?

Ghoste

Make sure you have a competant machinist and double check whatever parts you order from 440Source.  Maybe do a search on other's expereinces with a similar idea.

Chryco Psycho

I agree some of the machine work can be done but the pistons have to be fitted to the block & the stroker parts need to be checked for tolerances & fit 

Budnicks

Quote from: Ghoste on July 27, 2011, 09:58:08 AM
Make sure you have a competant machinist and double check whatever parts you order from 440Source.  Maybe do a search on other's expereinces with a similar idea.
I would recommend that with any parts you purchase from any supplier, a good machinist is a great resource to have around..  :Twocents: