News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

coil over questions

Started by c00nhunterjoe, April 10, 2011, 07:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c00nhunterjoe

Got a great deal on a front end coil over kit. I want to run them in conjunction with my torsion bars. Any advice on reinforcing my inner fenders or lower control arms?

HPP

Real coil overs or the clamp on spring kit that goes over your shocks? If the former, you can't use your torsion bars with them. If the latter, throw them away and buy some good shocks.

c00nhunterjoe

Real coil overs. Why can't I use them with my bars?

oldschool

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on April 10, 2011, 07:36:25 PM
Got a great deal on a front end coil over kit. I want to run them in conjunction with my torsion bars. Any advice on reinforcing my inner fenders or lower control arms?
if you got the altercation set up, you dont need to do anything. the shock tower is built in. anything else, you will need to use a roll bar, modified for upper strut reinforcement. it connects to the forward frame and the top corner of the firewall.
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

c00nhunterjoe

These replace the shock, nothing else included. I figured that I would need to reinforce the fender.

HPP

You don't want to use them with your torsion bars because then you are then double springing the front end. That would mean you are then putting down, depending on the spring and t-bar combination, 200-800# of additional spring rate or potentially 400-1200# of wheel rate. This is a huge increase. FWIW, a 1.22 t-bar is only 400# of wheel rate.

If you do use them, yes, you need to support the inner fender some how. The shock tower was not deisnged to support the entire weight of the front end. The typical design I've seen is a down tube from a roll cage that ties in the front frame rail and shock tower to the cage structure.