News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird nose ,fiberglass-bare ,,help info best way to ship canada to usa ???

Started by djcarguy, December 18, 2013, 01:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djcarguy

need accurate info shipping cross border.

greyhound sounded cheaper an easy but now i hear to ship intact full size is gaint pain.

need u.s. broker  ??
bill of laydin     ??
commerical freight customs clearance??  

anyone know good easy way to ship to us??

anyone going to MATS from canada  in march with room for a nose cone??

Never dealt with borders before an stressing out,, info ==helpful.. THANKS AN HAPPY HOLIDAYS,  DJ

Mopar John

A couple of years ago I shipped one going the other way from the US to Canada. I dropped off the crated cone at a FedEx airport depot in South Bend Indiana. The buyer picked it up at a FedEx airport depot on the Canadian side. It worked very well with no problems. Check into it and see if will work as well for you going the other way?
MJ

winged69

My suggestion is if this an original nose and they are fragile, send it to a point on the Canadian side close to buyer and have the buyer come pick it up in Canada. If this thing gets damaged, there goes another original piece. If it is of value my policy is go get it!

Lighthorseman

Well, DJ - here's my two bits worth of advice.  The actual cross-border shipping is not much of an issue.  The customs documents merely need to show the value of the CONTENTS ONLY of what's being shipped.  The shipping charge is NOT a part of the value of what's being shipped.  Make sure the shipper doesn't add that to the DECLARABLE value, or you'll pay import duty on the shipping too. 

When I had my nose shipped out, the size of the crate is what killed me, so I had lots of other parts in with the nose, so at least I was able to cut down on multiple shipping charges.

If you're in contact with whomever is building the nose for you (Don?), why not see if he can hold it for a while until he has all the OTHER parts you need built as well?  Put those inside the nose, and send the whole thing out as one shipment.  It's still going to cost a bit, but there's no real way around it unless you live within a reasonable driving distance.  You might want to check and see if there are West Coast DC Members who are back and forth from the island to the mainland who can help you out...

Best of luck!

Old Moparz

If you end up having to ship & it's crated, which it should be, try this place.....

http://forwardair.com/

(It is trucking, not air freight)

They are less expensive than most because they ship from terminal to terminal. You will need to drop off to them as well as pick up, there is no address to address shipping. The website shows that they ship to Canada, so I would believe that someone there could walk you through the details.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

hotrod98

I ran into this problem a few years ago when Don made me a Superbird nose. I ended up having him cut it into four pieces and had it shipped by one of the parcel services. Might have been fedex.  Downside is you have to glass it back together.  It saved me about $400.00.  But, if you have to pay someone to glass it back together then you've saved nothing.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

DonC1

Its' really about volume and size limits on this side of the line. GreyHound wants $300. to ship a nosecone to the USA as one piece to DJ as long as the size is within their limits - 84"x24" under 100 lbs etc which the nosecone is. Beyond that size shipping south can get expensive and I don't know why. Larry I emailed you back :)

rainbow4jd

Call a Chrysler dealer in Buffalo NY - ask for the parts manager.   I can assure you, he knows a parts manager on the Canadian side of the border and can tell you all the details.

AND if you actually live close to Buffalo - you can probably get the Parts Manager to handle the transaction for you.

Here's how the transaction will work.

You'll sell the part to the dealership, who will sell it wholesale to the Canadian Chrysler dealer - WHO will send a truck across the border and get it (THEY DO THIS EVERY DAY).   Then all you do is buy it from the Chrysler dealer in Canada.  Viola - all handled.

Quote from: djcarguy on December 18, 2013, 01:03:45 PM
         need accurate info shipping cross border.

greyhound sounded cheaper an easy but now i hear to ship intact full size is gaint pain.

need u.s. broker  ??
bill of laydin     ??
commerical freight customs clearance??  

anyone know good easy way to ship to us??

anyone going to MATS from canada  in march with room for a nose cone??

Never dealt with borders before an stressing out,, info ==helpful.. THANKS AN HAPPY HOLIDAYS,  DJ

hotrod98

You need to think about what part of Canada the nose is coming from and where it is going to in the U.S..  Don is in western Canada. If the nose is going to western U.S., it would be much more expensive to go through Buffalo, N.Y.. Just sayin...

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams