News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Does the upper joint have to be removed? - NOW it does...

Started by grdprx, March 11, 2011, 09:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grdprx

I need new upper bushing, but does the joint need to be removed from the arm?  Can I pop it out of the spindle, then unbolt the arm, replace bushings, re-install?  The upper joints look fairly new.

I also had a question on the alignment.  My tires have about -6 camber.  Would bad bushing cause that?  The place I took the car to said I had something else going on with it.

A383Wing

yes..take it out of the spindle, you can leave it in the control arm when you change the upper bushings

I can't answer the other questions

grdprx

Quote from: A383Wing on March 11, 2011, 09:36:11 PM
yes..take it out of the spindle, you can leave it in the control arm when you change the upper bushings

I can't answer the other questions

Thank you sir.  I was afraid I was going to spend more time looking for the socket to remove the upper ball; than the whole job would take to do!   :2thumbs:

A383Wing

and yes...a bad bushing or both could cause your camber issue....also, the lower bushing usually goes out as well...if bushing is bad, then whoever is doing the alignment cannot rotate the eccentric enough to get it in spec

grdprx

So I got my bushings from Rockauto, got the driver's side arm off this morning.  Looked things over to see how I wanted to proceed with the project today, and I got a broken arm!  Seems a chunk is missing here...

Where do I get one?

terrible one

Ouch! I've got the ball joint socket if you need one I could let you rent it for the cost of shipping there and back.

HANDM

I'm sure there is one out there among my Mopar buddies, I'll ask around an post back. I also have the upper ball joint socket you can borrow.
Besides, you need to come check out my Charger  :icon_smile_big:  The last time you saw it, it was in primer.........
Still got my number??

A383Wing

Quote from: grdprx on March 18, 2011, 08:41:38 PM
So I got my bushings from Rockauto, got the driver's side arm off this morning.  Looked things over to see how I wanted to proceed with the project today, and I got a broken arm!  Seems a chunk is missing here...

Where do I get one?

Any 66-70 control arm will interchange....someone has to be parting out a car somewhere

grdprx

Cool, thanks guys!  I'll have to look around.  I still have to pull the other side, see how it looks. 

bull

I got a used one from Firm Feel after I screwed up my original but then I live nearby and just went out back to look through his barrels-o-parts. Wildcat Auto Wrecking would have some. Ebay or the nearest wrecking yard with any old B-bodies, etc. If I had it to do over I'd buy a pair of new reproduction arms myself.

FLG

Troy

I have one. Let me check for damage since they looked pretty rusty when I pulled them. I have the tool to remove the bushings too.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

grdprx

Thanks for the offer of the tool guys!  I found out I actually have a relative locally that has it too.  Although, he said the upper ball joints are one time use, is that true?  Said the threads would be no good, and I couldn't reuse it.

I got the right side arm off, and it looks ok.  I had a bushing come appart in it though, so I'm in the middle of a fight to knock the outer case off the arm.   :brickwall:

HANDM

I've heard that as well, however, I have done the balls on the Charger and Challenger and had no problems with them tigtening properly.
As as side note you can put a small tack weld on them if they do strip out. Just don't do any hardcore braffing untill you get new ones  :lol:

bull

Quote from: grdprx on March 20, 2011, 04:58:32 PM
Thanks for the offer of the tool guys!  I found out I actually have a relative locally that has it too.  Although, he said the upper ball joints are one time use, is that true?  Said the threads would be no good, and I couldn't reuse it.

How long have they been on the car? If it's been more than a few years why not cough up the $25 for a pair of new ones? Pretty cheap insurance IMO.

Rolling_Thunder

I have two sets of upper arms (spares)

If you need them shoot me a PM
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

grdprx

Thanks for the offer PT, I found an arm locally; I've got to clean it up, see how it looks.  The upper joints look new.  Threads are clean and the boots are in nice shape, compared to everything else I've torn of the front suspension.  Everything else was cracked, hard and caked in grease.  I decided that since they aren't designed to be reused, I'll get a new one for this replacement arm.  New project to work on!   :woohoo: