News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need help Identifying wires!

Started by sixpack_sid, March 18, 2011, 10:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I'm putting the dash wire harness in my 68 charger. I bought a new one from Year One. I thought it was supposed to be plug and go, but nothing is labeled and my old wiring harness was torn out when I bought the car. Can anyone tell me what these wires are for and where they go?
They are 2 pink and a white. It seems like they belong somewhere around the wiper button. I cannot find a plug for the washer fluid button. Does anyone know if that comes with the harness I bought or if it is included in a different harness kit?
There are 4 brown wires that I have no idea where they go-they are in the same area as the pink and white wires. And a 3 prong plug that I am clueless as to what it's for or where it goes...
Also, on the back of the fuse box, the 3rd terminal down on the left does not have a wire on the terminal. I have no AC, but i think there should be a terminal there to complete the circuit for the heater. AM I wrong?
I will post pics and if anyone can help me out that would be great. It figures that the tech line at Year One is closed on the weekends. :icon_smile_angry:
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

BananaDan

Kind of small pictures, and I'm a 70 guy, but I'm pretty sure the last one is for your cigarette lighter (center hole).

Dan
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

terrible one

The pink and white is for the brake switch at the pedal. The purple and white 2 prong is for the reverse light switch, the brown wires IIRC go to the wiper switch, the ones taped together are for the washer switch, I know that for sure. And yep the orange 3 prong is for ash tray light for starts but I think other options in the light group plug into the other 2 holes if you have them.

BananaDan

That's right, the ashtray light, not the lighter itself, thanks for correcting me.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

BananaDan

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,78814.0.html

See if that helps.  Again, it's for my 70, but a lot should be similar.  There will definitely be some differences though. 

Dan

terrible one

Quote from: BananaDan on March 18, 2011, 10:47:27 PM
That's right, the ashtray light, not the lighter itself, thanks for correcting me.

Haha honestly I didn't even notice! Guess I knew what you meant lol :coolgleamA:

sixpack_sid

Thank you for the help! This is getting confusing. I found another  wire that I cannot figure out. See pic below. Also, I am working on the dash harness, but see no plug for the steering column. Am I missing a wiring harness? When I contacted Year One I asked for the complete wiring for the car, but I see no back up light harness either. Are there supposed to be any ground straps in the dash? I didn't see any.
Also do you put the guages in the dash and then put the dash in, or do you put the dash in first, then pull the wires thru and hook them up that way?
Thank you for all the replies!
Sid
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

terrible one

No problem, glad to see you are making progress  :cheers:

The connector in the last picture you posted powers the cigarette lighter.( EDIT: Brian beat me to it  :P) Are you sure there is no steering column plug? I've put a picture below.

As for the backup light, it depends on whether you have a column shift or console shift car. For a column shift, I'm pretty sure the reverse light switch mounted on the column just plugs straight into the connector as you pictured it. If you have a console, the switch is on the shifter and plugs into the console harness (the small harness that plugs in at the kick panel and goes to reverse light switch connector and fuse block for power). Be aware that if you have a console you won't have all of the wiring you need. There are actually 3 parts to the console harness. There is the harness with the lights and connector for the reverse switch at the console itself, then the harness that goes from the console to the drivers kick panel, and finally the harness that goes from the kick panel to the reverse switch we were talking about and to the fuse block.

As far as ground straps, none that I remember. There is a ground wire from the steering column to a mounting bolt but that's all I think.

If you have the entire dash out I would put the gauges in the dash and wire them up, then install the dash as an assembly and all you will have to do is snap in the bulkhead. But since I haven't had my dash out I can say that putting the cluster in with the dash in the car is pretty easy, especially if you drop the steering column.

sixpack_sid

Thanks again. I'm still working on it. Can anyone tell me what this switch is in the dash console?

69charger440

Quote from: sixpack_sid on March 20, 2011, 12:46:42 PM
Thanks again. I'm still working on it. Can anyone tell me what this switch is in the dash console?

I am thinking rear defrost!! But I dont have it on my 69. so maybe I am wrong, but someone will know for sure.
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

Nacho-RT74

aren't 69s rr deffog switch around A/C-Heater Control area ? ( using the same than conv tops switch but mounted backwards )

68s I think are on cluster
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Hemidog

That is a 68 bezel, so it's a rear defrost switch.

sixpack_sid

I kind of thought that's what it was. Thank you.

Now, another question, where does the fuse box mount? I can kind of see from the pics posted that it looks like it may mount inside the dash panel next to the glove box. Is that right? Pics are always helpful.
Thanks again!
I don't know what I'd do without this site!
Sid

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Hemidog on March 20, 2011, 02:44:55 PM
That is a 68 bezel, so it's a rear defrost switch.

I was pretty sure it was, but didn't want to DEFINE it, just talking about switch itself

fuse box:

just right on glovebox area attached with a bracket to the dash frame. The glovebox liner has an access door/opening to the fuse block
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

sixpack_sid

So you access the fuse box from inside the glove box? Or under the dash? Do the fuses point up or towards the floor? Do you have a pic of it?
Thanks!

sixpack_sid

Here's a pic of the wiring I got when I bought the car. Now you can see why I'm having so much trouble!
So, I'm finishing up the wiring, and cannot find a place to plug in these 2 brown single wires. I noticed that there is a five plug on the wiper switch, one prong is not used, and there is 2 prongs on the wiper fluid switch and one is not used. When I look on my wiring diagram, it looks like there is a jumper wire that goes from the wiper motor switch to the wiper fluid switch. I'm not seeing anything like that on the wiring I got from Year One.
There is a heater wire inside the car that comes from the blower motor. Does this plug into the heater blower motor resistor which is at the box?
Next, I think I 'm missing the wiring harnesses from the dash back. I found the old harness for the center console but don't know where it hooks into.
Can anyone tell me what other wiring harnesses I need to go back to the trunk? I feel like I'm missing a piece of the puzzle here!
Pics to follow.
Thanks for the help!
Sid

sixpack_sid

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: sixpack_sid on March 20, 2011, 04:04:12 PM
So you access the fuse box from inside the glove box? Or under the dash? Do the fuses point up or towards the floor? Do you have a pic of it?
Thanks!

welll I'm not a 2nd gen owner and just have get inside the wiring on a 70. 70s are with a door on one of the side walls of liner, so fuses of course are facing up the glovebox to get acces to fuses through glovebox

NOW, 68s and 69s. I think they have a "step" on liner and they fit horizontally instead vertically like 70s... BUT NOT SURE if its with 68s and 69s, or just 68s and 69s are like 70s.

sixpack_sid

Quote from: terrible one on March 19, 2011, 08:34:33 PM
No problem, glad to see you are making progress  :cheers:

The connector in the last picture you posted powers the cigarette lighter.( EDIT: Brian beat me to it  :P) Are you sure there is no steering column plug? I've put a picture below.

As for the backup light, it depends on whether you have a column shift or console shift car. For a column shift, I'm pretty sure the reverse light switch mounted on the column just plugs straight into the connector as you pictured it. If you have a console, the switch is on the shifter and plugs into the console harness (the small harness that plugs in at the kick panel and goes to reverse light switch connector and fuse block for power). Be aware that if you have a console you won't have all of the wiring you need. There are actually 3 parts to the console harness. There is the harness with the lights and connector for the reverse switch at the console itself, then the harness that goes from the console to the drivers kick panel, and finally the harness that goes from the kick panel to the reverse switch we were talking about and to the fuse block.

As far as ground straps, none that I remember. There is a ground wire from the steering column to a mounting bolt but that's all I think.

If you have the entire dash out I would put the gauges in the dash and wire them up, then install the dash as an assembly and all you will have to do is snap in the bulkhead. But since I haven't had my dash out I can say that putting the cluster in with the dash in the car is pretty easy, especially if you drop the steering column.

"There are actually 3 parts to the console harness. There is the harness with the lights and connector for the reverse switch at the console itself, then the harness that goes from the console to the drivers kick panel, and finally the harness that goes from the kick panel to the reverse switch we were talking about and to the fuse block."

Now we're getting somewhere. But where can I find these harnesses? YO doesn't have them and I don't see them at Evans.
:scratchchin:

BananaDan

Call Bill Evans, all of his stuff isn't on his website.  I called him about a console harness b/c I didn't see it on his site and he had them.

Dan

sixpack_sid

I called Evans wiring today and it seems like I have the 3 harnesses needed for the console. Now I'm just waiting for the taillight harness to come. Then I can hopefully assemble everything this weekend. Thank you for all the help!
Sid

sixpack_sid

I just got the taillight harness today. I noticed an extra prong with a hole in it on the taillights where the bulbs go. Is this a ground? They didn't include a ground wire with the harness. Can anyone offer any help here?