News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Whats your opinion on a Tic Toc Tac in you charger.

Started by Back N Black, March 09, 2011, 03:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Are those Charger Specialties tachs still clocked 5,000 rpms off from the originals?

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: bull on March 12, 2011, 11:18:38 PM
Are those Charger Specialties tachs still clocked 5,000 rpms off from the originals?

Nah, They arent too bad anymore. I still schose to spend just a little more and have a converted original though.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

ACUDANUT

bull

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on March 13, 2011, 09:08:03 AM
Quote from: bull on March 12, 2011, 11:18:38 PM

Nah, They arent too bad anymore. I still schose to spend just a little more and have a converted original though.

Uh, actually I meant 500 rpm, not 5,000. :P

smyythe68

I have an original tic toc tach with original electronics inside. I bench tested mine with a spare points distributor, ignition coil, and a power drill. I used a new tach to compare it with and found it was way off. It doesn't really pickup until 1000 RPM and that's if I rev it past first. After that it is about 500 RPM off until about 4000, of course the lag is a bit ridiculous. This is the best i could get with adjustment screw. I am just wondering if switching to the new electronic board will improve this considering it has an adjustment for 1000 and 4000 RPM. I also intend on using MSD once my car is done, so I will have to buy the tach adaptor or the board anyway. Anyways it still looks really cool even if it is off. I had a clock and had to to find a tic toc  tach and rebuild it. :icon_smile_big:

Dans 68

It couldn't hurt.  :Twocents:  I have the updated electronic board (Real Time Engineering) installed and it works well. Still a wee bit of lag but again, it works well.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

BananaDan

I just got my estimate from Instrument Specialties.  $1,100.  Pretty much every part of my gauge cluster needs attention, rebuild or replacement.  It was pretty rough.  Here are the details of what they're doing.

B-body
Restore Case
Paint Pointers (9)
Buff Lens
Solid State Limiter
Bulb Kit (3)
Reprint Brake Lens
Clean, Test, Detail Switches, Rebuild Dimmer
Solvent Clean Clock/Tach Dials
Reprint Tach Orange Line Only
Re-face Speedo
Re-print Odo Wheels (6)
Re-face Fuel, Temp, Oil, Amp
Rebuild & Calibrate Tach  (also getting converted for EI, previous owner never did it when they did the EI upgrade)
Quartz Convert Cloc
Rebuild and Calibrate Speedo
Miles ________________?   (Having the mileage set to 200, approx. the amount of miles she's had since back from resto)
Re-calibrate Fuel & Temp
Re-core Oil (Dead Unit)
Service & Clean Amp.

I have pictures of my cluster before I shipped it out in my interior restoration thread at the 1970 Charger Registry forum.

http://1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=179.0

Dan
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein