News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3m undercoating waste of money

Started by towscum, January 29, 2011, 10:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

towscum

i sprayed it on with a special gun that costs 75.00, just for it to look like spray paint, what a joke, im lucky that my friend of a friend had one to lend me. i will definitey purchase resto ricks stuff, heres some pics for your amusement.
1969 dodge charger 440 4 speed

stripedelete

What's wrong with it?  You don't want the textured stuff on the inside, do you?

ODZKing

Quote from: stripedelete on January 29, 2011, 10:50:58 PM
What's wrong with it?  You don't want the textured stuff on the inside, do you?
Yeah, I guess I'm missing it too   :shruggy:

towscum

i was hoping to spray on some thick under coating to fill in some of the rough areas, i spent about 120.00 on this junk, 4- 22 ounce cans ricks stuff is only 60.00 a gallon do the math. the side of the trunk is going to be shot orange over the undercoating, so it looks some what factory, i thought the factory under coat was a heavy texture?
1969 dodge charger 440 4 speed

A383Wing

looks to me like it worked fine...can says "undercoating" which is what it looked like it did...

did you want stuff that looks like spray-on bedliner?

maxwellwedge

Yes the factory stuff is heavy and it was used for sound/drumming deadener.

None went in the interior.

elitecustombody

the texture can be easily adjusted with air pressure at the gun and distance, that is if you use Shutz gun and the product that was made to use with that gun, I never had any problems with 3M body Shutz and texture can be made heavier than OEM.If you don't know what you're doing, don't blame the product,

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: expresstowing106 on January 29, 2011, 11:04:59 PM
i was hoping to spray on some thick under coating to fill in some of the rough areas, i spent about 120.00 on this junk, 4- 22 ounce cans ricks stuff is only 60.00 a gallon do the math. the side of the trunk is going to be shot orange over the undercoating, so it looks some what factory, i thought the factory under coat was a heavy texture?

It did , but that was put on with a pressure gun like a hydraulic  grease gun  What would work would be modern day stone guard and that will go through a schutz gun. it used to come in a fine grade for Jap cars and real bony stuff for US built cars. Myself I haven't seen the heavy texture stuff for  awhile now.  The 3M undercoat is good for withstanding abrasion like in a wheel well.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Troy

DropTop used to have some instructions on how to drill out the nozzle on the Schutz gun to better duplicate the factory look. I haven't heard of any complaints about the 3M stuff - it's usually the recommended product.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Silver R/T

I had good results with 3M undercoating from Napa (sold in spray cans)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

resq302

Look up the pics I did on our 70 chally vert with replicating the factory undercoating spray look.  It turned out just as good as what the factory did and got a cheap $20 Schutz gun new I think off the internet or from Eastwood.  They have an expensive one and a cheap one.  It all depends on the pressure you set it at and how you spray.  Im guessing that your pressure was set way too high.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

maxwellwedge

Frank Badalson sells the best stuff I have ever used - by far.
I think Resto-Rick has a similar mix.

You still need to manipulate each coat with some secondary air pressure to "sculpt" in the texture.

Tons of light coats with drying time between to get the factory look and thickness. One or two heavy coats will not net you anything like the factory texture/appearance.

hemi-hampton

You said you paid $75 for a special gun but then show a Picture of a Aerosol spraycan. A aerosole spraycan will not produce the quality of the special gun. Which one did you use. I never had a problem with the product & recommend it. LEON.

bull

I would consider it fortunate that it turned out looking like paint because now you can do it right. Had it been the factory-style undercoating you'd probably regret it, later if not immediately.

troy.70R/T

I was want to find the thick stuff like the factory used so I could especially coat the inside top of my fenders so I could prevent possiable chips and dings in my fenders comming from rocks that get stuck in my tires and then fly out and hit the top inside of the fenders.

Bobs69

Don't know anything about this stuff in the link I'm posting, I seen it in a parts store once and thought "Hmmm I wonder."  Anyone know anything about this stuff?

I've used gravel guard and undercoating on an old car I had once out of a spray can, and yeah, looks good at first, gravel guards definately got a texture (to hold dirt as far as I'm concerned) but its all junk, in cans anyhow.  But then again like I said it was an old car and unless things are prepped exactly the way they tell you in the instructions.................  so basically a brank new car treated in an operating room setting might guarantee results.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/detailsupplydepot/dsd18.aspx

67440chrg

I used the 3M in spray cans under my car. I think it looks good .I didnt mant it to look like I was covering up anything. You can tell my pans are still smooth and rust free.Some peaple cover up bad things with the heavy stuff.

elitecustombody

Quote from: troy.70R/T on February 18, 2011, 09:13:07 PM
I was want to find the thick stuff like the factory used so I could especially coat the inside top of my fenders so I could prevent possiable chips and dings in my fenders comming from rocks that get stuck in my tires and then fly out and hit the top inside of the fenders.
Use 3M Body Shutz with Shutz gun,

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

pipeliner

If I were going to use anything on inside of the car I would use Lizard Skin,great stuff. http://www.lizardskin.com/
As far as a daily driver for underneath protection I think undercoating is a waist of money.The bedliner stuff IMO is the only way to go.Where I live we have alot of Rock Quarries and coal trucks with alot of debris on the road and leaving my car painted underneath was not an option.
Took these pics with my I-Phone,not the best quality lol.

HOTROD

pipeliner- I like that is it all lizardskin ,looks good !!
What the Hell-Dumass !

pipeliner

Thanks!No its Herculiner bedliner that I sprayed on with an undercoating gun.I overkilled the protection on the car.I wire wheeled and sandblasted the underneath of the car after countless hours of scraping factory undercoating off and then sprayed Rust Bullet then the bedliner.I probably could have just epoxy primered it and then used the bedliner but that Rust Bullet is some pretty tough stuff too.Im going to use Lizard skin on the inside of the car for insulation and sound deadening.

Bobs69

The underside of that car looks great.  The lizard skin is sexy looking.  BUT as nicely put together as that car is why would you cover up the goods with dirty old undercoating.  Why not just paint it and show of what you got?  Just wondering, incidently, I'd be happy with my car's underside looking that clean.

pipeliner

Quote from: Bobs69 on March 03, 2011, 06:19:52 PM
The underside of that car looks great.  The lizard skin is sexy looking.  BUT as nicely put together as that car is why would you cover up the goods with dirty old undercoating.  Why not just paint it and show of what you got?  Just wondering, incidently, I'd be happy with my car's underside looking that clean.
Its NOT lizard skin,its not undercoating its bedliner lol.The only people that paint the underneath of their cars around here are the trailer queens.I drove the cars wheels off before I tore it down and I plan on doing it again when I get it put back together.Gravel roads here I come  :cheers: