News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Percentage of H.P. loss from compression?

Started by 68ChargerJMP, January 08, 2006, 09:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68ChargerJMP

I know this is a loaded question, but....If a ballpark figure CAN be obtained, how much horsepower is lost(percentage wise) for one full point in compression. I know it will vary on the type of engine,  but lets say theyre both a pretty serious street setup. One motor will be a naturally aspirated 10.5:1, 500 hp/550tq stroker, the other engine built close to the same but setup for a procharger application with 8 or 8.5:1 compression. So if Im giving up 2 to 2.5 points from one engine to the next,all else pretty equal, what can I expect in a hp/tq loss?

68ChargerJMP

golden73

You're right, it is a loaded question.

But a ballpark figure is about 10hp per point of compression. So you would be "giving up" ~20-25hp

68ChargerJMP

firefighter3931

Approx 10hp per point of compression on the type of build (mild 440) you're talking about.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

is_it_EVER_done?

Heres a good chart from victorylibrary.com - Though no table can take into account all factors such as cam, timing, etc., It is indicative of what can be really expected (which is generally much less than most people think).

http://victorylibrary.com/brit/compression-c.htm