News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can you test a wiper motor?

Started by sixpack_sid, March 05, 2011, 10:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I have a 68 Charger I am restoring. I put in the wiper motor and cleaned up the pivots. Is there any way to test the wiper motor to see if it works? I don't have the engine or dash in yet, so it would be a good time to replace a bad motor now rather than when the engine is in.
Thanks.
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

sixty8charger

I would say just clamp it on a bench run the wires to a switch (probably the factory one) and power source and try it out...mock set-up
Jayson

bull

Two jumper wires and a 12v battery.

jaak

You didn't specify if it was a 2 speed or 3 speed wiper motor, so here is both.

2 SPEED WIPER MOTOR....... with wiper motor grounded, disconnect harness at wiper motor. Connect positive jumper to terminal "H" to run motor at high speed. Now disconnect and connect positive jumper to one of the terminals on the resistor on the wiper motor, then a jumper from other resistor terminal to terminal "L" on motor to run motor at low speed. Now disconnect everything, Now hook up positive jumper to terminal "P1, connect a second jumper from "P2" to "L" terminal, motor will go to park position.

3 SPEED WIPER MOTOR....... with wiper motor grounded, disconnect harness at bulkhead connector, Connect jumper wire from battery (+) to BOTH brown and red wires at harness connector, then another jumper from battery (-) to green wire, wiper motor should run continuously. Now disconnect jumpers. Now take a jumper wire connect brown lead to green lead, then place jumper wire from red lead to battery (-), then another jumper from battery (+) to blue wire, wiper motor will park.

To test the switches out of the car (using an ohm meter) check continuity between terminals on switch. When it says terminal is open, means no continuity with any other terminal. When it says ground, it means continuity with switch case.

2 SPEED SWITCH                                                              

OFF                 LOW             HIGH                           OFF
B to B/U           B to B/U        B to B/U                      B to B/U
B to P              B to P            B to P                         B/U to P
A to F2             B to A           B to F1                        A to F2

F1-open           F2-open         F2-open                       F1 to Ground
                      F1-open         A-open

3 SPEED SWITCH

OFF                  LOW                  MEDIUM              HIGH
B to B/U            B to B/U             B to B/U               B to B/U
B/U to P            B/U to A             B/U to A              B/U to A
A to F2             A to F1               A to R1                F1 to R2
                                                                        A to through rheostat or resistor to R2 (**see note)
F1 to Ground     F2 to Ground       F2 to Ground
                       P-open                P-open                F2 to ground
                                                                           P-open

(** resistance will vary as switch is turned from low to high speeds.)    

The reason I put the switch test is, I didn't test my switches and when I got everything together, my wipers wouldn't park. I pulled the switch back out, tested it and the switch was bad. Check it out before putting everything back together, that way you won't have to pull it back out like I did, LOL.

Jason

Back N Black

Bench testing procedure.

Test #1(Hi speed)

Connect jumper wire from motor case to battery ground.
Connect second jumper wire from battery positive to BROWN lead.
Motor should run hi speed continuously.

Test #2 (Lo speed)

Connect jumper wire from GREEN wire to battery ground.
Join BROWN and RED wires together and connect a jumper wire from battery positive to them.
Motor should run at slower speed.

Test #3 (Park)

Connect jumper lead from GREEN to BROWN wire.
Connect jumper wire from red wire to ground.
Connect jumper wire from Blue wire to battery positive.
Motor should reverse and park.

(Depending on where the motor had stopped the park feature may have a full rotation or very short rotation