News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

time for a serious ignition system Ron

Started by fy469rtse, March 17, 2015, 04:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fy469rtse

reading up on my options over the last few days,
Msd or Firecore,
have clearance problems with the Edelbrock victor Juniors, so limits my choices ,
Msd  8546 pro billit distributor,
Firecore racing distributor ,
these two have the length and small size to distributor top to clear heads, not decided if going to use the MSD controller, we have a system over here Ice ignitions, but no long or condensed head distributor, so they don't have an option for a big block for me to you to use
they have a compatible wiring loom to plug into the MSD distributor if you don't want to use 6AL or such,
the idea is to use the rest of the ICE system with the distributor
i don't know yet if the Fire core distributor will plug and play with the rest of the ice system, why use the ice , can get locally, don't like the MSD, less timing curve options to the distributor, Firecore is the better option,
waiting for RON to chime in on this one with advice,
? why not just PM him , because its what this site does teaches you as you follow along on mods and such, good to share
and it will give the expert a chance to spruk his wares and show how knowledgeable he is on the firecore and general ignition products

fy469rtse

couple of questions, Ron ?
the ice system here , is DIS , digital inductive spark ,
is that compatiable with ? cid what does that stand for ?
looking at using the firecore RB racing distributor,
mainly to clear my victors and tin manufactured rocker covers
engine spec's
stroker , 10.75 comp
victor junior heads and intake match ported and heads slight porting work , mainly to clean up
solid roller , 23-700-9 grind crb274r-10 236,242 at 50
gross lift .564 .570 1.6 rockers

firefighter3931

The Firecore billet Mechanical distributor is what you would want. It clears everything that a stock distributor clears and the cap diameter is smaller than the MSD pro-billet. The MSD's larger diameter causes interference with many aftermarket heads and valvecovers requiring grinding/clearancing to get stuff to fit.

The easy to adjust mechanical advance is much more user friendly than MSD which uses those bushings and the MSD only gives you four possible advance curves. The shortest advance with the MSD is 18* using the black bushing so if your build wants less mechanical advance and more initial you are screwed. Many combinations want 25* or more at idle....so the MSD bushing setup will leave it wanting more and performance on the table.

The Firecore unit like the MSD uses a billet housing and a rollerized shaft for smooth and reliable timing that is rock solid to 8000+ rpm. No more timing bounce !

The Billet mechanical is compatible with any external box....it just provides the signal to the box, that's it. I haven't used an "ICE" system before but from what I've read it is comparable to many of the aftermarket performance stuff (MSD/Mallory/Crane) Firecore also has a digital box with a built in adjustable rev limiter. It specs out identical to the MSD digital 6 box but is much cheaper. I've sold several of these with excellent results. Two guys are running them on supercharged applications and making big power.

The Firecore billet mechanical is available with either an OEM style cap or male post HEI terminal. A stock replacement cap/rotor from any parts store will work on the FireCore unit should you decide to go with the factory style cap & wires.

Firecore also has 8.5mm wires with 50 ohm/ft resistance in either terminal style that are compatible with any style box (analog or digital) and come built to spec with no cutting or crimping required....just plug n play  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

fy469rtse

Thanks ron for replying,
as always cost is always an issue , wish i had full deep pockets,
cost on the kit , minus leads , just finishe putting a set of taylors on it , HEI cap,  detailed instructions ?
distributor and control box , what sort of coil does that run ?
? what does CDI stand for
Might start a thread on the fit , Change over from what i have, the pitfalls and problems i might encounter , and the ease of it , you can PM on the price Ron , i will because of the shipping and address to send to

fy469rtse

Ok , received my parcel ,
Thanks to Ron ,
In my parcel was the firecore billit distributor, coil, and control box,
I already had a new set of Taylor leads , so passed on the firecore ones for now ,
As soon as I get to the install of this will continue this thread with photos and detail the install,
For all of you guys considering an ignition upgrade,
Included were good instructions on the install of distributor,
But with the ignition box wiring, ? No instructions or wiring diagram,
I'm sure Ron will be a big help with this part when I get to it
I have a few questions for him before I start,
Like will I be able to run my factory tach with this system ?
I was considering mounting control box near door hinges ? Behind fender apron
Anyone done this ? Any issues

fy469rtse

Let me know guys if you want a thread on this install,
Fit, wiring to control box, etc
Not my strong suit, good at repairing the wiring to these cars , and the upgrades to weak spots and known problem areas,
Going to start on this after I finish repairing a cracked front rail , don't know if this damage was caused by 1 loose K frame bolt, or the torque this engine puts out ,  :lol: when running right,
It's given me a chance to install firmfeel adjustable strut rods and chase down a annoying occasional clunk in front end,
Thus by redoing everything to front suspension

xoman60

I went with Firecore about a month ago. I got the basic RB dist. for a 440 with their wires and coil. My 69 is running pretty awesome with it. My only issue is my cast iron intake manifold does not have the mounting holes in it for the coil. I'm trying to get a little more stock appearance. I'm working on getting a relocation bracket so I should have it the way I want soon. I highly recommend the firecore system though.

fy469rtse

Well I installed system ,
Once you have wiring and such sorted out , very easy,
I was lucky I had curve timing card on my old distributor ,
The multiple graphs supplied give you an excellent base to start with
Went the spring combination 1 black 1 silver springs in distributor,
18 degrees initial , sweet spot was 34 total , with mutiple discharge ignition box , less total was needed than the old distributor,
Woke the car up big time , pulls like a %#€£ing monster , wheel spin at will at any speed , going to have watch myself , brakes are totally inadeqate now,
Very happy camper now that ignition sorted out , rear main to do, so engine is coming out and apart , so going to take the opportunity to put the big roller in and put a few more points in compression back in,
Now have confidence that I can get this to run right on the street and strip

firefighter3931

Quote from: fy469rtse on May 03, 2015, 04:24:50 AM

Woke the car up big time , pulls like a %#€£ing monster , wheel spin at will at any speed , going to have watch myself , brakes are totally inadeqate now

Hey Geoff,

Glad to hear there's been an improvement in performance !  :cheers:

It's really nice when your tuning efforts are rewarded with great results.  :drive:

Now you have to work on the suspension to get that beast to hook up  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

fy469rtse

Your right Ron,
back springs are the old set re tempered and set , showing the signs of abuse already ,
flattened out
sagging in the height that I set,
Plan for rear , new set of stock hemi springs , caltracks , and QA1's to rear,
then the dana to be built , because this 8 3/4 isn't going to last long ,
I would love to go 4 link , but then I loose the drivability on the street
firecore set up was easy,
probably the easiest distributor set up I have ever done , sounde like a different engine right on start up , hadn't even dialled in the timing , just got better and better,
Quick question on the victor heads ron,
your the only person I know who's used them, both rear cylinders seem to run noticeably cooler ? ,any thought's , engine pulled down now and nothing to indicate any problem with rear cylinders,
comp was within 2% to average

firefighter3931

Goeff,

What leads you to believe #7 & #8 are running cooler ;

-plug color ?
-header tube temp ? Did you check with an infrared heat gun ?

Generally if a cylinder(s) is/are running cooler it has increased fuel or all of the fuel is not being consumed. That's usually a distribution issue with the intake manifold or a jetting issue with the carb.

What plugs are you running ?

Ron

fy469rtse

Sorry for the very late reply Ron ,
Couldn't put up with rear seal leak any longer ,
So engine and trans taken out
Engine completely disassembled,
New bearings seals and rear main replaced,
Turns out it wasn't the rear seal , but the result of too much oil pressure, 90 to 100 psi,
Idle was at seventy, it found the weakest point to bleed off the pressure,
Rear oil gallery's ,
Blew the goop out around threads, have got it under control now by simply shimming head of pressure spring cap
Now engine is back together and fired for the first time
Different engine again , more comp, bigger roller, heads ported now for more flow
My question is ,
Could you please re send me those timing curve graphs that you initially sent with the firecore set up,
They were a great help first time around  ,
Could you send to my hotmail address,
Have the other instructions on file but not those ? From your email , did you send those seperately

firefighter3931

Hi Geoff,

Those are some nice upgrades !  :2thumbs:

I'm sure the engine's output is going to see some serious improvement  :icon_smile_big:

Sent the timing curve charts and Digital 6 instructions to your e-mail account  :yesnod:

Any questions....just ask  ;)

Ron