News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I know a guy who knows a guy and he said he heard... (2012 Challenger rumors)

Started by Ghoste, February 18, 2011, 04:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

A guy at work told me today that a buddy of his is an engineer who has been doing some contract work for Chrysler and that they are putting together a 426 Hemi for next year's Challenger.  It supposedly makes whatever, thousands of horsepower and does 0 to 60 in 1 second flat, I forget.
I don't pay as much attention to new cars as I likely should so maybe this isn't a forth hand rumor but instead is just old news.  Has anyone else heard something like this?  Has it already been posted and I'm about to get slapped by the duplicate thread cops??

Ponch ®

Quote from: Ghoste on February 18, 2011, 04:53:26 PM
A guy at work told me today that a buddy of his is an engineer who has been doing some contract work for Chrysler and that they are putting together a 426 Hemi for next year's Challenger.  It supposedly makes whatever, thousands of horsepower and does 0 to 60 in 1 second flat, I forget.
I don't pay as much attention to new cars as I likely should so maybe this isn't a forth hand rumor but instead is just old news.  Has anyone else heard something like this?  Has it already been posted and I'm about to get slapped by the duplicate thread cops??

the 2012 SRT has a 6.4 (392) hemi that's putting out over 500hp already.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Ghoste

Ponch ®

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Ponch ®

BTW - some of the 6.4/392s have dyoned at 475-485 at the wheels. Now, if they could only make them lose some weight...

68X426

Quote from: Ponch ® on February 18, 2011, 05:13:46 PM
the 2012 SRT has a 6.4 (392) hemi that's putting out over 500hp already.

So do the guys you know, who know the guys who know, know about putting two 500 hp Hemis in the car (second Hemi in the trunk, with front and rear wheel drive) to obtain the 1000 hp?

Do you know? Could you ask around? :D

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

thedodgeboys

I know a guy that said he knew a guy that knew your guy; but it was only a 750 hp aluminum 426.  :rofl:

Ghoste

So we're pretty much all in agreement here?  The guy who heard from a guy is (as usual) out to lunch.

Mike DC

I dunno just how big the bore measurement would need to be to accomplish 426 inches on the gen-III motor.  But I do know the emissions figures on engines tend to go down the toilet as the bore size gets larger.  (Notice that in modern times the OEMs have been producing V10s when they want displacement figures that used to be done with big block V8s.)  I suspect that issue alone would be enough to make them think twice about a 426" gen-III Hemi in a production model.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 19, 2011, 04:43:38 AM

I dunno just how big the bore measurement would need to be to accomplish 426 inches on the gen-III motor.  But I do know the emissions figures on engines tend to go down the toilet as the bore size gets larger.  (Notice that in modern times the OEMs have been producing V10s when they want displacement figures that used to be done with big block V8s.)  I suspect that issue alone would be enough to make them think twice about a 426" gen-III Hemi in a production model.

the 426 conversion can and has been done. There are a couple of companies that make stroker kits and whatnot...I know a couple of LX guys that have them. But I agree...pretty unlikely itd be done in a factory production car.

Ghoste

So there are aftermarket versions of the GenIII Hemi out there at 426 cubes?

triple_green

68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Mike DC

QuoteSo there are aftermarket versions of the GenIII Hemi out there at 426 cubes?

Yeah it's been done.   

thedodgeboys

moparstuart

i wish they would come up with a better factory production valve cover set up 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Iceyone

The Official Dodge Web Page lists the 2011 SRT 392 Challenger as 470 or 475 hp, depending on which page on the site you're actually looking at. Could very well be a 426 coming up next year. Makes me glad I didn't buy the 08 SRT I'd been eyeing at a local dealership the past couple of months. Had permission from the wife if I'd really wanted it. Looks like someone bought it last week for a daily driver as I've been seeing it around a lot lately. So anyway I was going to hold out for a used 2011 SRT 392 model, but maybe I should wait a little bit longer.
68 Charger
70 Super Bee
11 SRT8 Challenger
30 Chevy Universal