News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What do you guys use to remove water spots?

Started by Back N Black, November 11, 2009, 07:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back N Black

I washed my car several times and the water spots are still there . Any suggestions?

maxwellwedge

Calgon? 

Just kidding....

Does Quick Detail work? If not....Wax On, Wax off.

hemi-hampton

Rubbing wheel & rubbing compound will definately work

Ghoste

I haven't found Quick Detail to work.  Maybe on ones that are fresh but if they have had a chance to set up on the paint you need to go to something a little more aggressive like the rubbing compound.

bull

Brock Lee

Yup, that is a hardwater issue. It is a job for a buffer and some compound.

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

68X426

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 11, 2009, 08:10:44 PM
Calgon?  Just kidding....

Actually..... no joke...... you may want to try Calgon. But not the water softener, the bubble bath. From the Calgon website:

Q:  Can CALGONĀ® Water Softener be used to wash cars?
A:  No, CALGONĀ® Water Softener is not designed to be used for washing automobiles.

It's the Calgon Classic Bubble Bath to try. (I'm hetero, not metro, don't worry). The stuff softens water even as you "discover the ultimate in relaxation" "leaving your skin feeling soft, smooth, and conditioned..". Imagine what it can do to a calcium spot on metal. :icon_smile_cool:

After the Charger gets all bubbly (pics please) rinse with distilled water. Pricey if you aren't stingy with the distilled and have an entire car to do. If you still have the stains then it's time for the power tools.

I got the hard water too, simply cannot let a hose near the Runner, and only use distilled water and then hand clean. Slow process, more of a detailing than a wash and rinse, but no stains. Can't use rainwater since it never rains in California. :'(

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

bill440rt

Washed your Charger with a HOSE???   :scared: :nono: :spank:

I prefer the hand detail method myself. But, I sometimes will wipe it down first with a wet washcloth or sponge, then wipe dry.
If you must use a hose, try using one of these in-line water softener thingies:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/p2p/searchResults.do?method=view&search=basic&keyword=water+softener&sortby=newArrivals&page=1
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bull

Quote from: bill440rt on November 13, 2009, 08:31:28 AM
Washed your Charger with a HOSE???   :scared: :nono: :spank:

I prefer the hand detail method myself. But, I sometimes will wipe it down first with a wet washcloth or sponge, then wipe dry.
If you must use a hose, try using one of these in-line water softener thingies:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/p2p/searchResults.do?method=view&search=basic&keyword=water+softener&sortby=newArrivals&page=1

Interesting. Do you know anyone who has one of those? If so do they work? I wonder how long the filters last.

E5 Charger

What about a clay bar with the quick detailer? I haven't used it for water spots, but it does a great job of smoothing out the paint.

FLG

When i first bought my charger i had the same problem with water marks, only thing that worked was compound and a machine.

Domino

I'm dredging up this old thread 'cause I searched "water spots" to see how you guys deal with it, especially those on a well.
Anyone who has spent time around expensive boats has probably seen portable water softners on the docks.  Figure I'd offer that suggestion up to folks with $ to burn and looking for a clean rinse before the show.

Plenty of options out there...example:
http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/WATER%20SOFTENER.htm

doctor4766

I know this thread is probably about water marks on paintwork but thought I'd give you all the heads up about removal of water marks (and rust stains) from your auto glass.
A simple polish of your glass with some Autosol (yes, the metal polish) will remove many of those otherwise hard to remove water spots from your windows. I have found that using a good cotton cloth rather than synthetic material helps for some reason though.
Gotta love a '69

Cooter

IMO, It's simple....I don't put water on my rides....And If I Do get caught in the inevidable down pour, I get busy with the shammy and compressed air, for about 2 hours
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"