News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Double DIN Stereo Anyone?

Started by Calif240, January 18, 2011, 09:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calif240

Hey guys... I'm doing some major stereo work on my '69 charger and wanting to convert the dash to a brand new stereo system. I've seen pictures of the Steve Stanley Coke Charger that looks like it has a double-din stereo in it. However, from my initial measurements, it looks like a double-din doesn't fit. Does anyone out there know how to mount a double-din without removing the front air vent? Anyone have pictures of their double-din stereo system? Any ideas are welcome.
Thanks guys.
Terry
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

elacruze

:popcrn:

always snooping for stereo threads.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

2Gunz

Im assuming your trying to use a double din so that you can get a large touch screen.

Why not find one where the screen surface mounts to something and the hardware is elsewhere.

Of take one apart and make it so that it becomes 2 units.

That would be my idea.

Or.....   build you own carputer.

BY RSCO

You would be looking at a good bit of cutting and custom work to do a double DIN in your dash. I have dome some in other classics, and though the end result looks nice, it requires alot of modification, re-shaping, etc. Granted, anything you put in the dash will require cutting, and once it is cut, it is cut - but a single DIN will not get into the air vent areas and such. This is just my .02, but there are some very nice single DIN units out there with fold out displays (that are the size screen of a double DIN) that would make for a much neater install. Hope this helps a little bit. Though I have "retired" from the car audio realm (in it for 17+ years), I still enjoy it quite alot when doing it at my own pace..
I actually am going to leave my stock unit in the dash, and utilize a hidden Ipod connection going through an amp, etc. BUT I am only looking for tunes in this car, not a major overhaul on the system like what you are doing.

**after posting this, I looked again at the Coke Charger, I may be wrong, but from the pics I found it has a single DIN flip out in it - will do some more digging)**