News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Factory offset question

Started by Ghoste, February 10, 2011, 04:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

In a steel Chrysler wheel, if you go to a bigger width, does the offset remain the same?  To be more specific, if you went from say, a 4.5 Chrysler rim to a 5.5 one do they split the offset to get the width or is it all to one side?  (does that even make sense?)

Nacho-RT74

By what I have read I think half inside half outside
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

elacruze

I have not measured that so ...  :Twocents:

The idea behind wheel offset is to keep the bearing load centered, or at design load. Changing width without changing bearing size or position requires that the load center be kept in the same position, so the width would be spread equally to either side of the mounting face.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Ghoste

Thank you and that is what I thought but someone was trying to tell me that it was all to one side and that didn't make any sense to me at all.  Specifically because of the bearing load issue.
Thanks again guys.

HPP

They may be basing that opinion on the fact that so many late model wheels tend to have large amount of positive offset. On the old school RWD set ups, the goal was always to have it centered, although you can see some improvements in scrub radius by adding some positive offset to the front.

Troy

Yes? Stock wheels would keep the mounting face roughly centered so the back spacing changes along with the width but the offset stays the same.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.