News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Push Bar

Started by Bobs69, January 21, 2011, 10:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobs69

Maybe I should be embarassed to ask this......but is there a stencil or some measurements out there that I could get my grubby maullers on the make my own concours correct General Lee push bar?  Or more to the point would anyone consider helping me out here.

It would be a dream to be able to print off a stencil from my printer!

Yes I'm being ..............economical.  I would be satisfying to do my own.  PLUS, I live in Canada and we take a pounding bringing things across.

jaak

found this on a website.....no blue print, but maybe it will help

Push Bar

Diameter of the bars: 2-3/8".

Center to center the bars are 8-1/2" apart.

The overall width of the push bar is 36-1/4".

The thickness of the upright pieces is 1/4" .

The depth of the uprights is 3".

The top of the lower bar lines up vertically with the center of the bumper.

Mike DC

Go to the "Confederate General Lee Fan Club" website.  All the GL stuff you wanna know is there.

And the GL has worn several different pushbars in the last 30 years.  Speaking in broad strokes there have been 3 types.  Early TV series, later TV series, and post TV series reunions & movies.   

doctor4766

Bobs69 I'm pretty sure I still have an .eps file for the shape for the pushbar.
I originally found a listing on ebay that had a pic of a non assembled pushbar and imported the pic into my sign making program.
Then I autotraced the profile and cleaned it up, then cut the shape out in vinyl,adjusted the size and transferred it to cardboard and gave it to my metal worker who built it for me.
Fits well.
If you have a vinyl sign making shop close by I can email you the file and you could have them cut a vinyl stencil for you.
Gotta love a '69

Bobs69

Wow thanks Doctor4766 that's real kind of you.

And yes there is a vinyl sign place near by.

That sounds like some real impressive software.  Do you have the narrow style or wide?  If you had the wide I guess it should be easy enough to make it more narrow.  I'll pm you my email.

Again thanks.

doctor4766

Bob I got your PM thanks.
Will grab the file in the morning when I get back to work and email it to you tomorrow night bout this time.
I made mine the wide version which is as wide as the chassis rails and it bolts to the frame. You do have to drill a couple of holes but they aren't seen.
I was under the impression the narrow bar may have been welded onto the bumper.....?
Anyway, the curves are all there to miss the lower valance (unlike the one on the '70 GL in the Rare find on ebay thread)
For that matter, if anyone else would like the template .eps file too I'd be more than happy to send it on.

And just for the record, my Charger was originally destined to be a GL, but I changed my mind half way there and have now made magnetic numbers and flag which are very easily removed when I'm done for the day.
The only down side is having to make and reapply the R/T stripe each time.
Gotta love a '69

Cooter

SO?????Make the R/T stripe a magnet as well.?
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

doctor4766

Nooooooooooo,
that's vinyl
Gotta love a '69

68coronetGLwannabe

Maybe this will help. These are the measurements from the wider series push bar. You will need to add some cross bars underneath from frame to pushbar. If you don't it will wobble side to side when installed.
I pointed to two old drunks sitting across the bar from us and told my friend
"That's us in 10 years".
He said "That's a mirror, dip-shit!

Mike DC

The wide TV-series bar and the (also wide) modern movie bars are very similar.  But the small/narrow pushbar was really a different animal from the other two.  You should take a look at the different kinds before you decide. 

The small one had triangular-type side plates and the larger one had straight ones.  The small one mounted to the stock bumper whereas the big/wide one from the later TV series mounted to the subframe rails down underneath.

doctor4766

Hey Bob,
Forgot to take my thumbdrive to work today so I'll email you the file tomorrow.
Gotta love a '69

BlueSS454

I only found a template for the wide push bar when I was looking for one.  I had a friend of mine make one out of aluminum.  I was originally after the early narrow one.  I found a narrow one copied from one of the original early Season 1 cars which is what I have on the car now.  I can take some detailed pics of it if needed.
Tom Rightler

Bobs69

Quote from: doctor4766 on January 24, 2011, 06:09:26 AM
Hey Bob,

Okay thanks.  I thought maybe I made a typo or something when I sent my email to you.

Bobs69

Quote from: BlueSS454 on January 24, 2011, 06:08:30 PM
I only found a template for the wide push bar when I was looking for one.  I had a friend of mine make one out of aluminum.  I was originally after the early narrow one.  I found a narrow one copied from one of the original early Season 1 cars which is what I have on the car now.  I can take some detailed pics of it if needed.

Sure why not.  I think I like the idea of it attached to the subframe better.  But hey I'll do the wide one keep it on there and if for some reason I want to change it I can shorten it up!!!?

Thanks guys.

doctor4766

Quote from: Bobs69 on January 24, 2011, 10:10:39 PM
Hey Bob,

Okay thanks.  I thought maybe I made a typo or something when I sent my email to you.

Ok the email has gone Bob.
Gotta love a '69

Bobs69

Quote from: doctor4766 on January 25, 2011, 04:12:18 AM
Quote from: Bobs69 on January 24, 2011, 10:10:39 PM
Hey Bob,

I got it!  Thanks very much Doc!

Ok the email has gone Bob.