News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bullitt Story from the Wall Street Journal

Started by 68X426, January 27, 2011, 12:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68X426

WSJ on 1-26-11 published a nostalgic story on Bullitt and the stunt guys involved. It's mostly about the Ford and McQueen, the Charger(s) barely gets a mention. Still I think we all consider it "our" movie and it is a good read. And a wonderful tribute to the stunt drivers who made it all possible. I would post the link but it needs a password, so the whole article is copied to this post. Enjoy.

Chasing the Ghosts of 'Bullitt'  JANUARY 26, 2011. By MARC MYERS

San Francisco

At the very top of Taylor and Vallejo streets here on Sunday morning, I stopped to take in the view. Idling in a 2011 Ford Mustang V6, I looked down through the windshield at the impossibly steep hill below, immortalized in the 1968 film "Bullitt" starring Steve McQueen.

Seated next to me was Loren Janes, 79, McQueen's longtime stunt double and the last surviving member of the "Bullitt" car crew. Mr. Janes drove the green Mustang in the movie's most daring and riveting scenes—the one down Taylor Street and the other along Guadalupe Canyon Parkway. I even brought along a CD of the "Bullitt" soundtrack for the ride.

Two weeks after the death of "Bullitt" director Peter Yates, Mr. Janes and I set out to honor him by driving the movie's chase route—cautiously. "Peter wanted everything about the chase to feel risky and rough," said Mr. Janes, whose stuntman credits include more than 500 movies and 2,100 TV episodes. "Peter never got cold feet about any of the stunts that coordinator Carey Loftin lined up. He knew that a memorable film needed to be on the edge."

"Bullitt" still ranks high among car-chase enthusiasts. Several websites are devoted to information and trivia about the 10-minute chase sequence. Others have posted "then and now" images of chase locations. In fact, fans can even retrace the routes thanks to an online Google map that a fellow afficionado has marked up.

On YouTube, the "Bullitt" chase remains chilling. The green Mustang and black Dodge Charger tear through urban residential neighborhoods, bouncing off hills like Hot Wheels cars and banging into each other along the way. Yates raised the stakes even further by placing cameras in the cars, creating a new genre in which the viewer becomes a queasy passenger.

As Mr. Janes and I drove around the city, three myths were shattered. First, despite the hype, McQueen did not do his own driving in the movie's most dangerous scenes. "Steve was a great driver, but he was only behind the wheel for about 10% of what you see on screen," said Mr. Janes, who was McQueen's stunt double from 1959 to 1980. "He drove in scenes that required closeups—but not in the ones that could kill him. Steve always asked me first whether a stunt was too dangerous for him to take on."

The second revelation was that Mr. Janes was the stuntman who hurtled down Taylor Street in the Mustang and repeatedly sideswiped the Charger on the Guadalupe Canyon Parkway at 90 miles per hour. For years, Bud Ekins was assumed to have been that driver. "I was working on another film at the time, so Bud drove the early scenes before I arrived on the set," Mr. Janes said. "Many assumed he had driven them all, which wasn't the case."

And the third revelation? The chase's most breathtaking driving scenes are terrifying in real life, even for someone who grew up in 1970s muscle cars. As we began to descend Taylor Street's first sheer hill, Mr. Janes offered a warning: "Don't even try going down here the way I did. Our cars were heavily modified with racing shocks, special overinflated tires and skid bars on the underside. A factory car would come apart on impact if you sent it into the air here."

Point well taken. The pitched angle and approaching stop sign at Green Street forced me to inch down the hill's first leg at 15 mph. In the film, Mr. Janes hurtled down these hills at 60 mph in pursuit of the Charger, using each level intersection as an asphalt ski jump. "Traffic was cleared for us then," Mr. Janes noted. "We didn't have to worry about trucks and pedestrians—the way you do."

Fine, but how did he send the Mustang into the air? "I gunned the engine just as the back wheels leveled off at the cross streets," Mr. Janes said, not noticing that I had rolled gingerly through the stop sign to gain momentum.

As my rear wheels leveled off at the intersection, I hit the gas moderately. The Mustang surged forward, and I could feel the car trying to take flight where the flat surface ended abruptly and the hill resumed. "Feel it?" Mr. Janes asked coolly. "Any faster, though, and this car will take off, leaving the underside damaged when we come down."

At Union Street, the next intersection, I gunned the engine lightly again. This time the Mustang lifted a little more and settled back down harder. I asked Mr. Janes how he managed to avoid being tossed around in the cockpit like a marble. "When I left the hill, I pushed back into my seat using the wheel. That held me stable," he said.

In the movie, the Taylor Street sequence ends with the Charger hooking a hard left on Filbert Street and the Mustang following. As we near Filbert, I asked Mr. Janes how he made the turn while traveling so fast. "I started turning the wheel about three-quarters of the way down and fishtailed off to the right," he said. "Otherwise I would have overshot the turn or flipped."

Born in Sierra Madre, Calif,, Mr. Janes was a high-school calculus teacher when he was discovered by one of his students, whose father worked at MGM. The student knew Mr. Janes was a gymnast, former Marine and skilled swimmer. He suggested that Mr. Janes offer his skills for a 90-foot stunt dive off a cliff on Catalina Island for an Esther Williams film. Mr. Janes's stunt career was launched with that perfect dive in 1954.

In 1959, Mr. Janes met McQueen on the set of TV's "Wanted Dead or Alive." His first stunt as the actor's double required him to dive through a barn window, roll to his feet, vault over two horses, land on McQueen's animal and ride off. "It went flawlessly," Mr. Janes said. "From then on, Steve wanted me on all of his pictures."

After driving down Taylor Street, Mr. Janes and I toured the other chase locations. In the Mission section, we re-created McQueen's U-turn and zoom up York Street. Next came Potrero Hill, where the two cars tear down Kansas Street starting at 20th Street. I peeled out there.

We even drove out to Guadalupe Canyon Parkway, about 20 minutes from San Francisco. In the movie, Mr. Janes sideswiped the side of the Charger multiple times in an attempt to drive it off the road. "Bill Hickman, the great stuntman, drove the Charger," he said. "Bill and I spent a long time working out those bangs in advance."

When the filming of "Bullitt" ended, McQueen offered Mr. Janes one of the three tricked-out Mustangs used in the film. Mr. Janes passed, fearful he would always want to drive it too fast. "Besides, I already had this," he said, removing a 1964 Rolex Submariner from his wrist. On the back was an inscription: "To the best damn stuntman in the world. Steve."

Mr. Myers writes about jazz, film and the 1960s at JazzWax.com.

Copyright 2011 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved
This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. Distribution and use of this material are governed by our Subscriber Agreement and by copyright law. For non-personal use or to order multiple copies, please contact Dow Jones Reprints at 1-800-843-0008 or visit www.djreprints.com

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

tan top

intresting  read !!  thanks for posting  :cheers: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mike DC

"When the filming of "Bullitt" ended, McQueen offered Mr. Janes one of the three tricked-out Mustangs used in the film."  

Ohh, boy . . . 

bobs66440

Cool watch, but I think I would have gone for the car too!!

Great stort, thanks for posting!  :2thumbs:

BigBlackDodge

sixty8charger

You know, it makes sense Mr. Janes was a Marine. Semper Fi!

Excellent read, thanks for posting!
Jayson

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on January 27, 2011, 04:38:16 AM

"When the filming of "Bullitt" ended, McQueen offered Mr. Janes one of the three tricked-out Mustangs used in the film."  

Ohh, boy . . . 

Ha!

Let the rumor mill begin to churn...

grdprx

Brock Samson

Good place to post up some recent pics I found.. Great Post Thanks!

Brock Samson

four more..

Charger_Fan

Thanks for posting that. :cheers: And the additional pics are cool too, I haven't seen the attached bumper pic before.
I think I'll have to watch the movie again tonight. :icon_smile_cool:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

XS29J8

Quote from: Charger_Fan on January 27, 2011, 02:47:33 PM
Thanks for posting that. :cheers: And the additional pics are cool too, I haven't seen the attached bumper pic before.
I think I'll have to watch the movie again tonight. :icon_smile_cool:

I believe that is the release set up for the big gas station scene.........which failed but was covered up. Thanks for the great  post 68X426 & the pics Strat!  :2thumbs:

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:
Steve
HEMI 68 CHARGER R/T- 4-SPEED- 3.54 DANA- PP1 RED- BLACK VINYL TOP- PEARL WHITE UPHOLSTERY-STRIPE DELETE- AM 8 TRACK- NON CONSOLE- DRIVEN YEAR ROUND IN SOUTHWEST FLORIDA http://900z1.multiply.com/  http://kawasaki-z-classik.com/index.php  https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmY22PaMZ1H3dFczVWR2ZlJaX1BvTDFIVUdUZVlseWc&hl=en&authkey=CPi1hp8J#gid=0

Ghoste

You know the thing I always found so amazing about the Bullitt Charger is how such a plain car can look so badass.  Subtle and sinister all at the same time.  Could they have picked a better car for a pair of assasins?

charge-it

Visit our new website:

http://www.pepsparts.com

charge-it

Parked next to a new Bullitt edition Mustang. The owner of the Mustang wouldn't talk to us or even look at us! I think he was upset that our Charger had a steady crowd around it most of the day and most people just walked by his car without even stopping to look at it.
Visit our new website:

Brass

Quote from: charge-it on January 27, 2011, 08:05:53 PM
Parked next to a new Bullitt edition Mustang.
That_is_awesome.  I can't believe the owner didn't even strike up a conversation.  Then again, it seems like new(er) performance car owners are often disconnected from their cars' heritage and histories.  They just want something they think is cool.  Perhaps in this case the Mustang owner bought a Bullitt Edition solely because it was "special" and was unaware of what that really meant.  For all he knew, your car was just another "old muscle car".  :shruggy:  Its sad.

68X426

Quote from: Brass on January 27, 2011, 08:48:54 PM
I can't believe the owner didn't even strike up a conversation. 

For all he knew, your car was just another "old muscle car". 

He probably thought he was McQueen for a day and had to play it tough around the Charger. :smilielol:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Charger_Fan

Quote from: 68X426 on January 27, 2011, 09:43:22 PM
Quote from: Brass on January 27, 2011, 08:48:54 PM
I can't believe the owner didn't even strike up a conversation. 

For all he knew, your car was just another "old muscle car". 

He probably thought he was McQueen for a day and had to play it tough around the Charger. :smilielol:
:haha: 
Charge-it, your car is a real beauty. :drool5: My favorite pic is the one with the fall trees. :coolgleamA:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Brass

Charge-it, your car is a real beauty. :drool5: My favorite pic is the one with the fall trees. :coolgleamA:
Yeah, Charge-it - your car is great and it wasn't my intention to disparage it.  Just pointing out unenlightened attitudes.

charge-it

I'm a Mopar person through and through but at the same time I really like ALL the old muscle cars. My first Mopar was a 70 Charger R/T. I was never able to find another one in my price range when I was ready to buy one. I stumbled across my 68 less than 5 miles from home and bought it. I was then able to build it the way I wanted it. Anyways, the Mustang guy just seemed upset and tense that his car wasn't getting that much attention. Personally, I really like his car and told him so. He just gave me a blank stare. The Bullitt duties for my Charger have just about come to an end. I promised myself and lots of my local Mopar friends that I would keep the car as the "Bullitt" Charger for one full year before I made any changes. I've put 1500 miles on the car since it was completed. I already have a set of 15X8 magums for the rear and a set of 15X7 for the front. The great running 440 is coming out and a 426 Hemi crate is going in. I was very fortunate to come across another Mopar enthusiasts that had to sell the Hemi. It was in a very nice 1970 Superbee but he needed the money for other things in life. He was able to keep the Superbee and has an old 440 for it. It's the one Mopar engine I've never owned until now and I just had to have King Kong before I'm too old. As a matter of fact my new vanity plate is KNG KONG. Hopefully after an inspection tear down everything will be ok and I'll be able to get it installed for this coming summer. With fuel shooting to $4.00-$5.00/gallon I may not drive it as much as I had planned on but it will still be nice to see that Hemi between the front fenders.
Visit our new website: