News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 rear window

Started by deanj309, January 09, 2011, 01:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanj309

hi,can anyone tell me how difficult is it to repair the rear window channel it is completely rotted all the way around.what are the names of the pieces that i will need cant find them in my books.all the help i can get thx!!

bull

If it were just the bottom and sides I'd say you need a couple of sail panels and a lower window channel or maybe the whole Dutchman panel. the top is more of a problem since it's part of the roof but AMD might make just an upper channel. Not sure.

http://www.autometaldirect.com/category.aspx?flagdesc=dodge/plymouth

Patronus

'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Richard Cranium

Be sure you drill holes in the new ones to let the collected water out.
I am Dr. Remulac

doctor4766

Quote from: Richard Cranium on January 09, 2011, 03:20:34 PM

And drain where?
Gotta love a '69

djcarguy

:Twocents:  get a vega hatch and make it into a charger 500.or get used window channel from southern salvage yards and piece it all back in???what a pain ,HAS ANYONE FOUND A ALTERNATIVE SMALLER WINDOW AND OR HATCH ,that would fill most of the sail panels without having to modify the truck lid???/ :2thumbs: :Twocents:its a oregon idea,by dj

charger2fast4u

The best way to repair the window channel is to get what you can from AMD that is reproduced and either find a charger that has usable sail panels or make your own patch panel for what they don't have replacement panels for. Do the repair the right way the first time this is one area you don't want to have leaking and have to redo it again 

Arigmaster

Quote from: doctor4766 on January 09, 2011, 05:51:39 PM
Quote from: Richard Cranium on January 09, 2011, 03:20:34 PM

And drain where?

I don't have pictures but after drilling the drain holes, I heated the spot around the holes and sunk them slightly. I followed up by using flanged metal tubes the same diameter as the holes.
The tubes were secured with Dura-Bond 45. I did a little finishing to smooth out the top area and used the exess dura-bond undrneath. I did have to punch a hole through the internal tray to get access. Once painted, I ran clear plastic tube ing from the tubes and out through the inner wheel wells. I put a rubber grommet in the hole that the tube came through.

Trouble was, it never really collected enough water there anyway because the car was garaged and I didn't drive it on rainy days. I didn't have it long enough to see if and dirt or debris would collect there. However, I figured I could clear the line using an air hose from the bottom and also blow out what I could along the trim edge that kept the hole hidden.

Looking back, I think I wasted my time doing this because I could clear the water out with a air hose as well after washing it.

Rayzor

Hope you dont mind me jumping in here but I am dealing with the same issue. The lower channel on my car is shot so I was hoing to try this panel.
http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?cat=1
I looked at the one from AMD but I do not need to go into the trunk area. I figured I can reshape some metal pieces and fix my sail corners. Any thoughts?