News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hotchkis sway bar install question

Started by WHITE AND RED 69, December 27, 2010, 01:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WHITE AND RED 69

I just installed a new hotchkis sway bar and put it on the way the directions said and it all fit fine, but I thought it was odd that the sticker was on upside down. Thought it was a error on hotchkis. My old bar went through the radiator support brace and the directions show it the same but I looked on this site at others install pics and saw the bar flipped the other way on some. Was my sticker on the correct way or not? Which way gives the best performance? Im seeing it both ways on other cars and now am wondering if mine is right or wrong?
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

FLG

The top one is correct, the bottom one is wrong and a bit dangerous if you bottom out.

WHITE AND RED 69

This bar was installed by hotchkis and shows it the other way? and the general lee is the pic from the hotchkis instructions with it thru the radiator support brace? Im seeing multiple cars with them both ways. ???
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

terrible one

Maybe they had different designs? I seem to remember something about Hotchkis discontinuing the front bars for out cars . . . now they are available again. Maybe different bars?

elacruze

The bar doesn't care one way or the other, it's purely a matter of clearance. If you have space to put the bar up, I'd do that. I hate the look of the bar below the car, and it will collect road debris.

Having a second look at the photo, I think the bar is installed as your first photo but the camera angle and car dynamics make it look like it goes to the bottom.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

bill440rt

The top photo is of my '69. The sway bar is routed correctly (up & OVER the K-frame brace). There was a time the bars were disco'd, the way Hotchkis explained it to me was that the bars were advertised for 1968 - 1970, but they won't fit '70's due to the K-frame differences. They also won't fit K-frames with skidplates, as per Hotchkis. If they are available again this is great because they are fantastic sway bars, hopefully they just have them listed correctly.

IIRC, I had a decal problem also. I simply ordered more decals.
:2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

WHITE AND RED 69

Thanks guys.

I'm going to leave it as is and get a new sticker.

Bill440rt- Thanks. seeing your build made me feel like mine was correct, just the sticker threw me off that yours was placed correctly. They did release a whole new line of products listed correctly now for the 68-69 chargers including sway bars, control arms, strut rods, torsion bars, leaf springs, and sub frame connectors. Real nice products but a bit pricey for some of it.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

Blakcharger440

Quote from: bill440rt on December 29, 2010, 10:26:43 AM
The top photo is of my '69. The sway bar is routed correctly (up & OVER the K-frame brace). There was a time the bars were disco'd, the way Hotchkis explained it to me was that the bars were advertised for 1968 - 1970, but they won't fit '70's due to the K-frame differences. They also won't fit K-frames with skidplates, as per Hotchkis. If they are available again this is great because they are fantastic sway bars, hopefully they just have them listed correctly.

IIRC, I had a decal problem also. I simply ordered more decals.
:2thumbs:

Yep this is correct as I had to send mine back as it would not fit my 70 Charger RT. I wonder if they make one to fit a 70 Charger with K-frame skid plate nowadays?

Rolling_Thunder

I mounted mine with the hump going over the brace...    just made more sense to me    :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip