News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

six pak help

Started by charger Downunder, January 16, 2011, 02:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger Downunder

My car back fired through the carb went pop when started cold and a couple of times when driving warmed up. I took the air cleaner off  and noticed at idle the rear carb is running dripping fuel on the inside. I dont think this is normal i adjusted the linkage back and still does it can a high float level on the rear carb cause it to run at idle.?
[/quote]

b5blue

Yes, also float seat needle sealing rubbers (The tiny rubber cone that shuts supply of fuel off) get hard and deformed allowing extra fuel to slip into the bowl.  :scratchchin: Mine did and no amount of adjusting float height would stop it.

mhinders

Don't know the six-pack carbs, but throwing out an idea...you shot the power valve?
Martin
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection

BrianShaughnessy

For some reason the rear carb on a 6 pack likes to get needle and seat problems much more than the front and center.        Old timers I've talked to had problems with them when they were new also.

I think any fuel line boogers naturally get shot to the rear carb due to the way the steel lines are.  At least that's my theory.   I found an "antique" fuel log setup at the Nats awhile back and stopped any of those problems I had.

So for now,  take out the rear needle & seat and blast it with carb cleaner and put it all  back together.  Try again.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

62 Max

There are only a few things that will cause fuel to drip from the outboard carb's,leaking needle/seat,high float level,saturated float or the o-ring on the needle seat housing is dried up and leaking past the o-ring.Replace the needle/seat and re-set float level.That should fix it.Also,power valve center carb only.

70sixpkrt

I had the same problem with my rear carb. I took out the needle and seat and blasted it out with carb cleaner. No more dripping fuel.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

Rolling_Thunder

I just got a six pack set up...     oh the joys of 3x the problems   haha     :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

charger Downunder

Thanks needle and seat pulled it out today and found a bit of rubbish stuck in it holding it open. The rear fuel level hight is a pain to adjust stuck in a holley clear site plug to see whats going on.
[/quote]

62 Max

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on January 16, 2011, 05:52:27 PM
I just got a six pack set up...     oh the joys of 3x the problems   haha     :2thumbs:

Na,they're easy when you've been fooling with them for 30 + yrs. :icon_smile_big: