News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Restoring Fuel Filler Tube

Started by Chatt69chgr, December 31, 2010, 01:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chatt69chgr

On my 69 Charger, I am replacing the fuel tank.  Interestingly enough, the outside of the old tank was perfect but the inside was full of rust.  And the end of the fuel filler tube that was inside the tank was rusted on the outside.  There was also some rust on the inside of the tube but not too bad.  My plan on restoring the filler tube started with immersing it in a rust removal solution.  This got most of the rust off.  Then I took some acid core solder and using a propane torch, coated the outside of the pipe where it sticks into the fuel tank--I sanded that 3-in section to bare metal first.  My plan for the inside of the tube is to pour some POR-15 in there and coat the whole inside.  I have a few rust areas on the outside that need to be treated.  I don't want to just spray paint the tube since I've read that it was coated in lead from the factory and painting it wouldn't look correct.  I'm thinking of trying to take some plumbers lead and flux and using the propane torch recoat the rusted spots (after removing the rust to bare metal---the 60/40 solder stays real bright and doesn't look correct.  Has anyone else tackled restoring one of these filler tubes?  How does my restoral plan jibe with what you did?

Chatt69chgr

I finished my fuel filler tube restoration but wasn't able to get the lead to stick to the tube.  So I ended up painting the tube.  Used something called "stainless steel" that did a good job simulating the tarnished lead color.  On the inside of the tube, I closed off one end and filled the tube with "prep and etch" that I got at Home Depot.  It's a phosphoric acid etchant.  This is what the POR-15 folks say to do.  Then, after letting sit for 45 minutes and rinsing thoroughly with water, I carefully dried the tube with a hair dryer and then closed off the fill end with duct tape and poured in some POR-15.  I moved the tube around to get a good covering and also covered the bottom 4 inches or so of the outside.  Then hung right side up to drain and dry.  This is about the best I can do with this piece.  I think it will work OK. 

bull

I have to wonder about paint and POR 15 being used around chemicals (such as gasoline) known to erode or dissolve those types of coatings in one form or another. It doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I'd be more apt to go with some sort of plating; possibly zinc or electroless nickel.

The70RT

Quote from: bull on January 03, 2011, 02:28:46 PM
I have to wonder about paint and POR 15 being used around chemicals (such as gasoline) known to erode or dissolve those types of coatings in one form or another. It doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I'd be more apt to go with some sort of  plating; possibly zinc or electroless nickel.

That's what I was thinking on the por 15. I would use the tank liner epoxy before i would do the por15  :Twocents:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

charger2fast4u

i don't think the POR15 is really meant to be used on the inside of the tube with the gas in there to eat it away. i would of had it plated instead  imo. how about some pictures? i'd like to see how it turned out. i need a whole new filler tube on my 68 when i bought it it was beat to hell like someone used a hammer to it in one area it's almost pinched closed. anyone know where i could find one? i was thinking about having one made for me. doesnt seem to hard maybe a muffler shop could bend one up for me anyone do this before?

Chatt69chgr

I called the POR-15 folks and they did tell me that I should have used the tank seal product they have.  They said that although the POR-15 isn't harmed by gas splashed on it that over a long period of time it may degrade with constant immersion in gasoline.  They told me that they knew of folks that had coated the inside of fuel tanks with it and that it had held up for 10 years.  Of course, now that it's inside the fuel pipe, it's not coming back out in my case.  And you can't coat over POR-15 with the tank sealer product.  So I will have to live with it.  To plate the ouside of the tube you would need to get all of the old lead coating off---probably not too difficult to do although grinding it off would expose you to lead dust.  The painted outer surface would never be exposed to gas so I think that should hold up OK.  Of course, a paint with a catalyst that you sprayed on yourself would be best.   

The70RT

I just painted mine. I figured I'm going the over restored route anyway.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

clanton

I believe the filler tubes were zinc plated.
Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

resq302

Quote from: clanton on January 12, 2011, 08:54:45 PM
I believe the filler tubes were zinc plated.

If I remember correctly, it was a lead or tin zinc combination plating.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto