News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1000 Point Perfect 68 Hemi Charger @ Muscle Car Nationals

Started by TheAutoArchaeologist, November 21, 2010, 11:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

What I love about this 1,000 point expensive car is that the grille is done in a darker tint/shade than the Argent silver color most people use.  :icon_smile_big:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: clownin mopar on November 23, 2010, 10:16:32 AM
Quote from: bull on November 22, 2010, 11:58:27 PM
Hmmm. :scratchchin: I thought the steering rez lids were silver. :scratchchin:

Beautiful car. :2thumbs: The standard has been set.
The standard has been set-really??
Just goes to show if you sponsor a car show you can get a perfect score-just like Moser did at St Louis-Monster Mopar.
Maybe someone should point out the easy/obvious stuff.
1.The pulleys on the car are wrong. HEMI belts ride on the outside alternator pulley if they are double (after Jan) and depending on the date of the car, it could be a single pulley.
2.All the hoses are reproduction-and the rad hose is not even the correct shape for a HEMI car.
3. 68 Radiators never had "made in canada" stamped on them from the production line-this was a service item thing.
4. All the wiring on the car is repo-batt cables and all-look at the color of the pos cable.
5. Regulator is upside down and is the wrong color for 68-it should be red.
6.The weatherstrip & glue is wrong
7. etc etc etc....just look and you will find them-this is basically a reproduction Charger and hardly authentic/correct.
The car is beautiful no doubt. Unfortunately there were cars at the show that were more correct. This leads to problems when someone starts to look at this car as a reference and repeats the same mistakes because some judges gave it a perfect score. I've been in this hobby for 40 years and have started to see this more and more.
Gee you know your stuff, and most judges don't.   This is why when shows were coming to a close and handing out trophies, I used to pack up and leave.  
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

clanton

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 25, 2010, 07:45:11 AM
What I love about this 1,000 point expensive car is that the grille is done in a darker tint/shade than the Argent silver color most people use.  :icon_smile_big:

I thought the darker than Argent was only a 69 thing. I could be wrong.
Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

hemi68charger

Awesome car !!!!  But, unless it's a late-year build, isn't the wiper motor incorrect? That style didn't typically show up until '69 IIRC.... Yes, it's supposed to be a three speed, but the version with the black-halve case...
But, I have found pictures in the past of a '68 Hemi Plymouth GTX with the later version.... guess it could go either way for a certain part of the production run.

The power steering high-pressure hose looks to be not the original. The '68-only hose is like a needle in a hay-stack..

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

DC_1

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 09, 2010, 03:24:58 PM
Awesome car !!!!  But, unless it's a late-year build, isn't the wiper motor incorrect? That style didn't typically show up until '69 IIRC.... Yes, it's supposed to be a three speed, but the version with the black-halve case...

Heres mine on a 4/15 build date

elacruze

Quote from: clownin mopar on November 23, 2010, 10:16:32 AM

The standard has been set-really??
Just goes to show if you sponsor a car show you can get a perfect score-just like Moser did at St Louis-Monster Mopar.
Maybe someone should point out the easy/obvious stuff.
<snip who cares anyway stuff>

I don't really care about the thread, but who are you and why do you think I (or anyone who thinks like me) should give you any credibility whatsoever, let alone more than a team of experienced judges? Did you work on the QC line in Hamtramck?

With a name like 'Clownin Mopar' my first thought is that you're a Chevrolet Troll whose feelings got hurt at that show.

Who are you, and why should we give a crap?
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

A383Wing

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

HeavyFuel

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 23, 2010, 09:23:45 PM

Black is correct - All the silver ones you see are old NOS replacements or incorect resto's.

Maybe not......could they be silver, under the black paint? 

I'm pretty sure mine is the original cap, but maybe not, and it is silver, except for just a few little flecks of black paint still clinging.

Ain't this fun? :boogie:

ionracer24

nice lookin hemi under that baby!!    sweet car, i sure hope its not a trailer queen,  cause u know those bias ply's smoke like an ol' diesel when u lite em up!!     :D
Real race cars have three pedals......

Challengerken

Hello I'm new to this site , I would like to thank Paul Jacobs (who I have learned allot from in the restoration feild) and Ryan for leting me know about this on this site, and for the compliments from everyone else about Ted's Charger.

I was as surprised as anyone when we were told about the score, I know there is NO PERFECT CAR, but they had 2 different teams go over this car (read the upcoming Muscle Car Reveiw) go over this car, they spent between the 2 teams over 2 hours on this car, and then the Head Judge of 30 years spent another 1/2 hour on the car and the score they came up with was what our car was awarded with, I know there is no perfect car, and since this show a couple of small things that were stated have been taken care of, this is a learning process from listening to people who have pointed small things, Thanks!

This show is THE BEST in the States, they pick out the cars to come and show, we are not showing to win a class we are showing on a point scale to win a award, and every car there can win the same award, THIS IS NOT A OE GOLD SHOW , this a concorse show where repo parts that are like the original are allowed, (and I've seen repo parts on cars in the OE class as well) this Charger had a 30 year collection of Both NOS and used and some repo parts on it ( like the complete Grill assembly untouched out of the box and installed in this car) .

Challengerken

I ran out of space on the last post, I know Ted was happy about the score that his car received, he won the Gold award along with the other 9 cars that My shop  The Finer Details had there.

And for whoever Clownin Mopar is , About the sponcership of shows, I sponcer 15 shows both local and statewide, if it was not for the sponcers there would not be any shows!!!!!!

At St Louis I sponcer 2 $100.00 cash awards for 2 classes stock and modified, the cars that have won these awards have never been my clients cars, at the MCACN show I spend allot more, but this helps the show to go on and bring out the cars that we love, and every sponcer had cars entered and judged at this show , so no we don't BUY OUR AWARD'S as you seem to think, I would like to talk to you so please give me a call at 1-317-709-3625  or kmosier340@comcast.net

Thanks
Ken Mosier
The Finer Details

Dans 68

Ken,

Thanks for checking in. And don't take too seriously some of the comments you read.  ::)   It is generally good to hear from all.  ;)

This would be a good spot to have a "opinions are like a*******" smiley.  :D  Oh, and we like pictures. Lots of them....

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

472 R/T SE

I'd venture to bet the clown doesn't have the stones to call you Ken.

I talked to you @ Carlisle.  Another job well done sir.   :2thumbs:

69_500

Welcome to the site Ken. I hope that you will actually post here frequently. I have been meaning to swing out to your shop here pretty soon. With us moving this fall, and finally getting settled in I may actually have time coming up to swing out that way.

Danny Liebrandt

Challengerken

Richard Cranium

I am Dr. Remulac

maxwellwedge

Quote from: HeavyFuel on December 10, 2010, 12:15:56 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 23, 2010, 09:23:45 PM

Black is correct - All the silver ones you see are old NOS replacements or incorect resto's.

Maybe not......could they be silver, under the black paint? 

I'm pretty sure mine is the original cap, but maybe not, and it is silver, except for just a few little flecks of black paint still clinging.

Ain't this fun? :boogie:

Yes - They were silver under the black paint.

XS29J8

Quote from: Devil on November 21, 2010, 11:13:38 PM
This Charger got a perfect score at the Muscle Car Nationals in Rosemont.  First time ever a car has done that all the way back even to the Chevy Vette Fest days.  Done by Ken Moiser @ Finer Details for Ted Stephens of Stephens Performance.

I like it, wonder why??? I know Ken from Indy too, so Great job Ken  :2thumbs:  and you couldn't have picked a better Charger to restore (IT COULD HAVE HAD PEARL WHITE UPHOLSTERY THOUGH....   :drool5: )

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

Steve
HEMI 68 CHARGER R/T- 4-SPEED- 3.54 DANA- PP1 RED- BLACK VINYL TOP- PEARL WHITE UPHOLSTERY-STRIPE DELETE- AM 8 TRACK- NON CONSOLE- DRIVEN YEAR ROUND IN SOUTHWEST FLORIDA http://900z1.multiply.com/  http://kawasaki-z-classik.com/index.php  https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmY22PaMZ1H3dFczVWR2ZlJaX1BvTDFIVUdUZVlseWc&hl=en&authkey=CPi1hp8J#gid=0

Chatt69chgr

Question on the red color:

Is the Stephens car PP1 Red?

Is that the same as R6 Red on a 69?

gtx6970

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on December 28, 2010, 07:45:45 PM

Is that the same as R6 Red on a 69?

I think PP1 is closer to R4 than it is to R6

R6 is a pretty deep blood red , I used to own an R6  1969 GTX in original paint and it was pretty dark compared to a friend of mines PP1 1968 GTX ( but his car had been repainted so I can't say with 100% certainty if it was right)

DC_1

Quote from: XS29J8 on December 28, 2010, 07:19:14 PM

I like it, wonder why??? I know Ken from Indy too, so Great job Ken  :2thumbs:  and you couldn't have picked a better Charger to restore (IT COULD HAVE HAD PEARL WHITE UPHOLSTERY THOUGH....   :drool5: )

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

Steve

I agree!  ;)

Challengerken

Ted and I want to Thank everyone on here for the Positive comments, I will be bring ing  this car to most of the shows this year, It will be diffrent for me because I'm always with the E-body class :icon_smile_big:
And Sydmo Ted said I can do a burnout like your Beautiful Charger   when I give him the Money he spent on the restoration back to him, so it looks like I'll have to keep looking at your picture!

Take Care & Happy New Year!
Ken Mosier
The Finer Details
Automotive Restoration