News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

cam selection

Started by charger1972, January 09, 2011, 11:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger1972

Hello everyone.I know i don't usually post anything,doing a search can normally answer my questions,but I'm not sure on this one so ill give it a try.During the summer i realized how worn out the 440 in my charger was.Lots of blow by,only 90 psi compression.I cant afford a rebuild but i have another engine that was in my 79 powerwagon .Its a 69 440,i don't know the comp ratio but has about 160-165 psi compresion and no blow by .Bought it used,installed new gaskets and seals and a summit sum-k6400 cam.I'm pretty sure i want more cam than that,but i don't want to go to big,or to small.Summit cam specs are .442/.465 lift 272/282 duration 112 ls.I was going to get a hughes whiplash cam,but now I'm not sure,maybe comp cams xe268 or xe274.The car is 72 charger 4 speed 3.55 gears and a sixpack.The six pack is stock except for a promax throttle plate for the rear carb that makes tuning allot easier,I'm running a cast iron manifold,but hope i can get a alum one before spring.Also have hooker comp headers and 3 inch x pipe with delta 40 flowmaster mufflers.Living in new york ,heating oil and all the usual bills cut into my budget,so in the spring is when i can spend a little more money on the car,I'm hoping for new heads by summer,maybe.But for the winter,cam new firecore wires and maybe a firecore dist.Anyway ,any advice would be a great help.   thanks,Jim

firefighter3931

Don't ya just luv winter & those heating bills  :lol: I feel your pain Jim as i'm north of you  :P

Back on topic ; with that combo i'd look at something like the Lunati VooDoo grinds with a 4spd & 3.55 gears. I recommended the 303 cam to another member and it made over 500hp with a 6pack setup on top. Bill is using a set of Edelbrock RPM cylinder heads but other than that it's a pretty basic build....similar to yours other than fresher parts. See Bills thread below for specs and dyno results :

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52477.0.html

If you're planning to use the stock heads your valvesprings will need to be replaced to match the springrate for this new cam. The Comp # 911's are a good choice and drop right onto the factory heads and work with the stock retainers/locks.

I can help with the Firecore distributor & wires  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

charger1972

Yeah, winter definitely sucks.Must be REALLY cold up there. :eek2:I did read that post before i asked my question.Very impressive,would love to have that kind of power. :drool5:I really appreciate the help,i knew you would steer me in the right direction .I was set on the whiplash cam ,but no one seems to use theme here.Now over on moparts.....they seem to love them.After i recover from buying the voodoo cam lifters and springs,i will be in touch about the wires and distributor.And again,thanks for the advice.                         jim

Cooter

I can only offer what I'm going to run in my own 440. Being that the engines are mostly the same save for new "Six Pack" pistons in mine, I'm running a Lunati "VooDoo" cam. Going to give it another try. Mine specs out at .513 Int. lift...533 Exhaust lift. and 231 Int. Duration, with 240 Exhaust Duration @ .050...I will be running 3.55:1 gear as well as a 4-speed. I liked the Lunati because it offers moe lift with a given duration. Moost of the Comp grinds are ground like the old "Fireball" cams..Either .480 lift with 290 Duration, or .500 Lift with like 320 Duration..Nothing in the middle.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

charger1972

Quote from: Cooter on January 10, 2011, 07:47:52 PM
I can only offer what I'm going to run in my own 440. Being that the engines are mostly the same save for new "Six Pack" pistons in mine, I'm running a Lunati "VooDoo" cam. Going to give it another try. Mine specs out at .513 Int. lift...533 Exhaust lift. and 231 Int. Duration, with 240 Exhaust Duration @ .050...I will be running 3.55:1 gear as well as a 4-speed. I liked the Lunati because it offers moe lift with a given duration. Moost of the Comp grinds are ground like the old "Fireball" cams..Either .480 lift with 290 Duration, or .500 Lift with like 320 Duration..Nothing in the middle.
My biggest thing is i dont want to go too big and have it be a dog.And i know that not knowing the compresion ratio makes for a hard decision,but again i apreciate any input.       

firefighter3931

Quote from: charger1972 on January 10, 2011, 07:35:04 PM

Must be REALLY cold up there. :eek2:

Actually, it hasn't been too bad up here. Most days in the mid teens and not much snow to speak of. Hope the rest of winter stays this "mild".  :lol:

Jim, the cam recommendation is based on your current cranking pressure of 160 psi. That is encouraging and tells me that this is not a low compression smogger.  :icon_smile_big:

With the 3.55 gears, 4spd and most likely mid 9's compression the 303 falls into the not too small/not too big category. It'll definately be a huge improvement over the current broomstick grind  ;) Tuning should be easy and this cam will provide lots of manifold vacuum for power brakes if you have them.  :2thumbs:

The 303 is as big as you should go (valve lift) with stock heads unless the valve guides are trimmed down. The factory valvespring retainer to valveguide clearance is limited unless you trim down the guides and install positive style valve seals. That's why this cam is a good choice ; works with all the factory valvetrain components and is a true drop in & go.  :icon_smile_big:

I will suggest you install some fresh valve seals when you have the heads apart for the valvespring swap. It only takes a few minutes and is well worthwhile.

The Lunati cam is a 3 bolt upper gear so you'll need a new timing set. The Comp Magnum sets are excellent and very economical. I've run several of these over the years with perfect results. I've seen no chain stretch with these but can't say the same for more high dollar sets i tried using thinking that the upgrade was worthwhile. Ended up going back to the "budget" Comp setup.  :icon_smile_big:

Some links :

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60303LK/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-911-16/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-2109/

This should get you started  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

charger1972

As soon as you suggested the 303 cam and 911 valve springs,i checked them out at Mancini racing.Ill be placing my order soon so i can move forward.Thanks again,Jim. :cheers:

firefighter3931

You're welcome Jim....stay warm down there !  :icon_smile_big:

Ron