News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need wiring help on my 68 charger

Started by NGC414, December 05, 2010, 12:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NGC414

This is my first old mopar. When I bought the car it had the battery relocated to the trunk. When I pulled the car apart I removed the wiring out of the engine bay and planned to move the battery back up front after paint/ body work.
I took pictures and downloaded the diagrams on line, but still having lots of trouble (wiring is not my strongpoint)
I have several questions to start with:

Where should I run the battery main ground cable to?

By looking at the diagram it appears a wire runs directly from the battery to the starter and another runs from the starter relay to the starter. What guage wires should be used from the battery and from the starter relay?

I know its a long shot but does anyone have any pictures of the electrical components under the hood? Or pictures with labels of what everything is and a rough layout of where the wires run, for things like the starter relay, coil, starter, battery and under hood electrical components?

Thanks

Troy

The main ground wire from the battery bolts to the engine block.

I can't believe I don't have any online pictures that show the wiring. Mine isn't perfect but should show the basics. Maybe I can get some later or (hopefully) someone else will post some.

It's very basic stuff but I hate dealing with electrical components.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

NGC414

Thanks Troy. Thats what Im hoping for just the simple wiring 101. It would help me alot, or at least keep me from frying something LOL.

Thanks,

NGC414

Maybe someone could make a sketch and post or email it to me? anything would be a big help.
adeemas@aol.com

Thanks,

NGC414

This wiring is sucking my will to live. anyone want to throw me a bone?

troutstreamnm

The grounding bolt is on the front drivers side of the cylinder head just next to the valve cover on top.  This is the best pic I could find.  You can see where the black negative cable attaches here.
2008 SRT-08 Challenger
1971 GA4 Challenger
1970 FK5 Charger 500

Nacho-RT74

on AC cars, bolts to AC compressor side bolt provision
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Troy

Man, I must subconsciously hate my wiring as I don't have a single detailed picture from any of my cars. Here's the best I've got at the moment - firewall shots of my 68 R/T:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

flyinlow

The negative battery cable can be grounded at the block ,head or intake. The ground point should be free of paint or rust and use the proper size bolt and washer. Dielectric geese will help keeping the joint low resistance over time. I use OO gauge cables (overkill for a mini starter,but I trunk mounted my battery).

Clean, tight and short are good guidelines for the main cables and routed clear of heat and abrasion. I like neg. cables with a body ground secondary cable. Don't forget the stainless mesh secondary engine to firewall ground.

I use a #6 wire  feed from the battery to the starter relay. I think stock is a #8 with a stock alternator.

These are just basic suggestions, not for a original reproduction car. I have not had a 2nd gen. in 25 years. I have 3rd. gen pictures , with a modified electrical system if they would help.  :Twocents:

NGC414

Thanks for the input. I will start sorting things out once I muster up the courage to freeze out in the garage. My car is just going to be a nice driver. I just want to get everything wired and looking neat & clean, I dont need it to look factory.