News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mopar Electronic ignition

Started by Bobs69, November 19, 2010, 05:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobs69

Once upon a time my car was upgraded to a Mopar electronic ignition.  Well years later I meet you guys and see that a voltage regulator specifically for elctronice ignition is needed.  So I got one.

What ballast resistor do I need.

b5blue

ODZKing

:iagree:  Most of the time the standard single balast is fine but if you are using a super duper coil you should find one that is rated higher.

y3chargerrt

b5blue

I'm running FBO's A-688 ignition and Dizzy, what a difference!  :2thumbs:  www.4secondsflat.com  Firecore wires and XR5 NGK's got my 440 purring like a tiger.

Bobs69

I was thinking about some of the threads here on MSD VS MP and this is what I concluded.  Tell me if I'm right.

The MP electronic ignition upgrade takes my 69 and gives it late 70's technology.

MSD is state of the art.

b5blue

MSD is for cams with high overlap, as in race set up and tuned. Kinda over kill for most street cars.  :scratchchin:

Nacho-RT74

:iagree:

and EXPENSIVE without need to spend that. You can get same result on a lower cost setup.

I don't think MSD is really overkill for street, just is something not required

I'm agree on FBO... MP kits is a lucky deal... you can get one good or bad ECU module.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Ghoste

Well, I have to say that since I added an MSD to my car, it starts easier plus the rev limiter and elimination of the ballast resistor all add up to be a huge bonus in my book.  It may not be for everyone but I sure like it a LOT better than the old stock stuff.  Let's me run a little more coil and slightly wider plug gap too.  Oh, and since I put in the MSD, I haven't had a single MP ECU failure since. (cuz it's gone too)

b5blue

There is more to be gained by having the distributor properly timed, advanced and curved to you engines build then most realize. I'm now a huge advocate of vacuum advance but it must be adjusted to phase out as mechanical advance kicks in correctly. At idle your engine wants a lot of it, then it's a "dance" as it drops and mechanical takes over and that has to be at the right rate and amount. My idle got noticeably stronger, you can feel it pulling on the car with more authority. Not a higher RPM a stronger idle. I picked up at least 5 MPG to boot.  :2thumbs:    

Bobs69

Quote from: Ghoste on November 21, 2010, 05:21:28 PM
Well, I have to say that since I added an MSD to my car, it starts easier plus the rev limiter and elimination of the ballast resistor all add up to be a huge bonus in my book.  It may not be for everyone but I sure like it a LOT better than the old stock stuff.  Let's me run a little more coil and slightly wider plug gap too.  Oh, and since I put in the MSD, I haven't had a single MP ECU failure since. (cuz it's gone too)

Why would you want a wider gap?

Bobs69

Quote from: b5blue on November 21, 2010, 05:44:52 PM
There is more to be gained by having the distributor properly timed, advanced and curved to you engines build then most realize. I'm now a huge advocate of vacuum advance but it must be adjusted to phase out as mechanical advance kicks in correctly. At idle your engine wants a lot of it, then it's a "dance" as it drops and mechanical takes over and that has to be at the right rate and amount. My idle got noticeably stronger, you can feel it pulling on the car with more authority. Not a higher RPM a stronger idle. I picked up at least 5 MPG to boot.  :2thumbs:    

Who recurves distributors?  If I wanted to get it done locally what sort of shop would be good.  Machine shop?

Ghoste

Just exposing a little more of the mixture to the ignition source.  The problem with going wider of course is the extra energy needed cross the gap and it isn't necessarily something that the majority are worried about.

b5blue

FBO did mine, I sent him one for a core and gave him my engine's build spec., cam, compression, intake, heads, type of exhaust. He built me one while my core was on it's way to him as I was in a hurry. Don nailed it, his system works and he has a 2 year warranty with USA made components. (ballasts are Mexico) Call him and talk it over.  :2thumbs:   

Bobs69

Quote from: Ghoste on November 21, 2010, 07:16:38 PM
Just exposing a little more of the mixture to the ignition source.  The problem with going wider of course is the extra energy needed cross the gap and it isn't necessarily something that the majority are worried about.

How do you know what to gap them at?  Trial & Error or does MSD tell you.

Ghoste

I forget if MSD had a spec or not but my choice was based on Firefighter Ron's recommendation.