News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Opinions on OEM windshields vs everything else (i.e., Pilkington)...

Started by 69Charger_440, December 01, 2010, 03:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69Charger_440

Just wanted to see what the opinion is on this site concerning this topic.  I have to replace the windshield on my '01 Dodge Ram 1500 and the biggest issue is the quality of OEM vs aftermarket.  Is there really a big difference in strength and other issues?

resq302

I had to replace the windshiled on my charger last dec and ended up using a PPG one which was what had been in there before.  I used a new gasket and everything went in place no problems.  Well, except for the fact that the installed didnt use the sealer like the factory service manual called for so after he left, and 2 hours of me being fired up about him not putting it in, I popped the windshield out myself and put the sealer in with my caulking gun which I had prior to the windshield guy coming.  Nice thing is now it doesnt leak.   :2thumbs:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

doctor4766

The quality of aftermarket windshields (and bodyglass too) varies around the world.
As far as strength goes, it's actually the poly vinyl butyl interlayer that will determine whether or not the glass complies with the standard.
Here in Oz we used to have several autoglass manufacturers who made replacement front screens, but the relatively small market here didn't make that feasable, so a lot of them started importing glass from Asia.
In fact, at the company I used to work for, one of my roles was sourcing auto glass from around the world in an effort to save money on our "fast moving" items.
Since we had around 35 shops across the country I could create sales reports and figure which items we were selling the most of, so it wasn't unusual to be ordering cases upon cases of certain glass at huge savings compared to buying locally made.
In fact, I may well have been the instigator of this trend.
Since I left the autoglass industry 8 years ago a lot has changed here.
Those several manufacturers that used to produce windshields here are mostly buying out of China to supply their wholesale customers, but I have noticed myself and been told by a number of my ex colleagues that the quality of the mass produced in China has dropped. Mostly the clarity and level of distortion are the issues, but the curve and fit of some of the glass is less than desireable.
Having said that, there certainly are some aftermarket manufacturers who can still make a good product for much less than the price you will pay for an OE glass.
Gotta love a '69

69Charger_440

Thanks guys.  I guess in the end it really doesn't matter too much.  My main concern was a huge gap in the safety and function of OEM vs the other guys.