News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do I get this stuff off??

Started by RECHRGD, October 31, 2009, 06:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

I brought home the Charger for the winter last week after keeping it in our storage area close to town for the cruising season.  I noticed today that the upper portion of the body is covered with a gritty substance.  It's kind of like it was close to something being spray painted, but that is not the case.  If you run your finger over it, it feels like my paint has a nice fine grit sandpaper finish to it.  You can get it to dislodge from the paint with your fingernail, but not easily.  I have no idea what it is or how it got there, but it has to go!  I'm afraid to just start rubbing wax on it for fear of permanently scratching the paint finish.  Any ideas on how to attack this stuff without opening a can of worms?  Thanks,  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

carolina charger

RECHRGD

Quote from: carolina charger on October 31, 2009, 06:45:22 PM
I'd try a car wash first.

I assume your talking about the spray it yourself kind!  Anyway, that's not an option now as the car is stored on it's lift in my shop for the winter and I have no high pressure sprayer out here.  Maybe I should buy one.  I just don't like to get the beast wet anymore than I have to.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

b5blue

Careful testing...I would not let what ever it is sit there all season. I had a TR 4 over-sprayed with epoxy foam from a roofer 7 story's up...tiny dots like sand but epoxy...bad stuff. Good Luck   

Just 6T9 CHGR

Use a claybar system from Mothers or Meguires.  It removes surface contaminants without scratching....   Follow the instructions on the box.  Put a quality polish on it after wards :cheers:

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on October 31, 2009, 08:09:23 PM
Use a claybar system from Mothers or Meguires.  It removes surface contaminants without scratching....   Follow the instructions on the box.  Put a quality polish on it after wards :cheers:

:2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

elitecustombody

yep, clay bar will take all that junk off

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

RECHRGD

Thanks guys!!!!!!  I'll go find some of that stuff tomorrow!!!  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

motorcitydak

...and then a good quality car cover.
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

resq302

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

RECHRGD

Quote from: motorcitydak on November 01, 2009, 05:38:59 AM
Use a claybar system from Mothers or Meguires.  It removes surface contaminants without scratching....   Follow the instructions on the box.  Put a quality polish on it after wards :cheers:

...and then a good quality car cover.

No need (I thought) for the cover.  The storage area is an enclosed 10X20 space and my shop is enclosed and heated.  I have no idea where this stuff came from.  Maybe something from a truck when trailering the car home, but it seems too uniform for that.  It's like something just rained down on it, but a little more consentrated toward the rear of the car.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

resq302

Bob,

My car is in an enclosed area too, my garage.  The cover prevents any dust, dirt, what have you from falling out of the air and landing on your car which will eventually embed itself on top of the paint.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

RECHRGD

Quote from: resq302 on November 01, 2009, 10:43:55 AM
Bob,

My car is in an enclosed area too, my garage.  The cover prevents any dust, dirt, what have you from falling out of the air and landing on your car which will eventually embed itself on top of the paint.

I agree!!   And I do have a cover, but I don't use it too much.  BUT, this stuff sure isn't anything like the dust or anything else that you would pick up from just sitting in the shop or storage.  I'll let you know how that stuff as suggested works.  Thanks, Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

resq302

Just a thought, I have noticed that up in my attic, there is balls of sap forming on the roof joists.  Does your shop or garage have wood that is exposed that is possibly above where you keep your charger?  If so, it might be tiny sap particles that have made its way down to your car.  Again, a cover would have kept this off.  Also, I have found that my charger has been saved many a scratches or other damamge from having the cover be on it.  Something as simple as a handle of a broom falling onto the car or walking past it and bumping it only to have the cover serve as a soft barrier to absorb the blow or rub against as opposed to my have jeans metal rivets leave a nice scratch in the paint.  Lets face it, a cover doesnt help you unless you use it.
Brian

RECHRGD

Definitely not sap and the shop is sheetrocked.  I called the manager at the storage area yesterday and asked if any roofing or painting had been done recently that may have somehow entered the unit (not likely).  He said that nothing had been done and I tend to believe him, as the place isn't very old, so the mystery continues.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

resq302

Hmm, so the walls and ceiling is all sheet rocked.  Any kind of ventilation fans in the shop that may have sucked in some outside airborn pollutants?
Brian

RECHRGD

Thanks guys!  That stuff is awsome!! It came right off and I used their preferred wax afterward.  The car looks great.  I guess I'll never know what it was.  It came off as a black sand type substance in the clay.  There's been a lot of road repair going on, so maybe some type of sealant was getting kicked up on the road and getting deposited on the car when it was on the trailer.  Oh well, it's history now.  Thanks again.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Just 6T9 CHGR

You should use it at least twice a year on your daily's as well.....paint comes out unbelievably smooth & contaminant free :cheers:

Glad it worked for you :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

Quote from: NOT Just 6T9 CHGR on November 01, 2009, 07:02:06 PM
You should use it at least twice a year on your daily's as well.....paint comes out unbelievably smooth & contaminant free :cheers:

Glad it worked for you :thumbs:

Also makes it a lot easier to polish and wax your car since the finish is smoother, you have to put less effort into applying and removing the product.

Also,  :2thumbs: glad it worked for you.
Brian

451-74Charger

Quote from: RECHRGD on November 01, 2009, 09:28:16 AM

I have no idea where this stuff came from.  Maybe something from a truck when trailering the car home, but it seems too uniform for that.  It's like something just rained down on it, but a little more consentrated toward the rear of the car.  Bob

Me thinks you were roasting rubber somewhere,. :smilielol:
Check the tread depth, and if it was less than you started and it wasnt you, id be grilling the wife  :hah:

PS...
I recommend Zaino

bull

Do you think Clay Bar would work on hard water residue?

miamivice

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on October 31, 2009, 08:09:23 PM

Bringing this topic back from the dead (as I utlized the search function)....  Is there differences between different comapanies "clay bar" products?   

I have some water spots on my car and was told a clay bar will take them out.  The Mothers & Meguires ones are available at my car parts store and would prefer to get one of them and not deal with shipping, but I have always used Zaino stuff in the past with good lukc (rather not pay 12 dollars shipping on an 18 dollar product though, if possible). 

Any advise/thoughts are appreciated!