News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disassembled HEMI WIW?

Started by rattlehead_74, November 07, 2010, 12:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rattlehead_74

Hey.guys and gals  I might have a shot at a completely dissassembled 426 hemi ,believed to be a 1969 ....It has surface rust but is 90 to 95% complete all the important stuff (block,heads,2 four intake,main caps,pistons.rods,valve covers,etc) is there,,,I dont know much more about it ,,,but would love to find out more! lol..so what should i offer for this elephant???  any one out there bought a basket case hemi??? 

Thanks in advance! Tom

bull

Quote from: rattlehead_74 on November 07, 2010, 12:41:12 AM
Hey.guys and gals  I might have a shot at a completely dissassembled 426 hemi ,believed to be a 1969 ....It has surface rust but is 90 to 95% complete all the important stuff (block,heads,2 four intake,main caps,pistons.rods,valve covers,etc) is there,,,I dont know much more about it ,,,but would love to find out more! lol..so what should i offer for this elephant???  any one out there bought a basket case hemi???  

Thanks in advance! Tom

Bare heads or are all the valves, rockers, etc., present? That would make a difference. If complete and a good core they can be worth more than $10k of that vintage. Especially to someone looking for his numbers-matching engine (or close to it).

rattlehead_74

Ok thanks,Bull ...i found out today its a 1957  392 HEMI  its mostly there ,(important stuff) yes the valves and rockers-rails,etc...he wants 3 grand? that sound ok?? i know nothing about it ,,it would definately need to go to the machine shop to be checked out ,,3grand would do alot for my car in other areas!lol

The70RT

NO WAY! I seen some for a G and that's too much IMO.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

rattlehead_74

i agree the70rt ,its too risky not knowing how long its been sitting+why it was tore down, ill stick with the 440

Troy

Maybe $3k if he builds it for you.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

ACUDANUT

Being a 392...I would walk away....no RUN...BUT, Before you run, ask the guy how he came up with a 1969 motor when it was a 50's engine....Then slap him...HARD. :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap:

bull

Yup, big value difference between a 392 and a 426 obviously. I actually think it would be kind of cool to run a 392 in a 60s-70s era muscle car but it probably wouldn't be worth the cost of rebuilding one, assuming you could even get all the parts you'd need.

rattlehead_74

Yea he had me pretty exited when he told me it was a 426,,when he got it home he looked the numbers up and found out it was the 392 heck you cant even buy a 426 block for 3gs can you? 

The70RT

Quote from: rattlehead_74 on November 08, 2010, 06:37:41 PM
Yea he had me pretty exited when he told me it was a 426,,when he got it home he looked the numbers up and found out it was the 392 heck you cant even buy a 426 block for 3gs can you? 

NO....unless someone don't know what they have.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

rattlehead_74

Oh well..thanks for the input guys..... :cheers:

lighting74

that was the old firepower motor had one given to me didnt take it wasnt worth the scap metal

vancamp

i bought a 392 for $300 complete several years ago pretty much what you described sold for $1600 and the guy drove 900 miles to get it, he wanted it for a street rod he was building.